Sep 3, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Dr. Brett Reed and Lehigh athletics announced the hiring of Kyle Griffin as an assistant men’s basketball coach on Tuesday afternoon.
Griffin will take the place of Stephen Ott on the coaching staff who was recently hired by first-year Florida International head coach Anthony Evans.
Griffin, who comes to Lehigh from the Hoop Group, joins a list of current and former Patriot League coaches who transitioned from running camps and instructing players at the Hoop Group camps to assistant coaching.
Ott, Griffin’s predecessor, was the Director of Team Events at the Hoop Group before becoming the Director of Basketball Operations at Siena. Kevin Driscoll, an assistant coach at Holy Cross in his first season, was formerly the director of the Elite / Eastern Invitational and the Skills / Pocono Invitational for the last four years at the Hoop Group. Current Old Dominion assistant Lamar Barrett, who was an assistant at American last season under Jeff Jones, was the director of the Hoop Group from 2006-2008.
What many of these assistant coaches have in common is an expansive rolodex to tap into in the AAU basketball and recruiting world. The contacts Griffin has built up is something that Reed will certainly lean on:
[Kyle] has also grown a tremendous number of recruiting relationships through his very productive experiences with the Hoop Group. At the Hoop Group, Kyle was responsible for the organization and communication with various coaches around the nation to field competitive tournaments for a very strong basketball organization in this country.
A former player at La Salle and Siena who battled knee injuries his entire collegiate career, Griffin won’t be a stranger to the culture and program at Lehigh as his father, Bill Griffin, is the Assistant Director of Athletics at Lehigh and former member of the Lehigh basketball team.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 4
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)