Sep 4, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
On Wednesday night the Stanford basketball program received an important verbal commitment, one that shores up the backcourt for head coach Johnny Dawkins with starting point guard Aaron Bright entering his senior season.
According to Josh Gershon of Scout.com, 2014 point guard Robert Cartwright has verbally committed to attend the Pac-12 school (subscription required). The 6-3 Cartwright, who attends Flintridge Prep, is Stanford’s first verbal commitment in the 2014 class. And as noted above, Bright’s status is one of the reasons why this development is so important for the Cardinal.
Cartwright helped lead Flintridge Prep to a 22-7 record last season with averages of 18.8 points and 4.3 assists per game. He’s also a very good defender who will help Stanford in that department when he arrives on campus, combining with current freshmen Malcolm and Marcus Allen (they’re twins). And when 2014 rolls around Chasson Randle will be a senior, meaning that the Cardinal will have a primary scorer so as not to put too much pressure on the underclassmen.
Academics were an important part of the decision-making process for Cartwright, who chose to remain at Flintridge Prep for that very reason. “It’s a fantastic academic school,” Cartwright told Eric Sondheimer of the LA Times back in February. “The moment I stepped on here in seventh grade, I loved it. The teachers were wonderful, the kids were wonderful and I loved my coach.” And according to multiple outlets, once Cartwright received the go-ahead from admissions he was ready to commit to Stanford.
With Bright graduating in 2014 and Randle the following season, Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins needed another piece moving forward. With Cartwright on board, the Cardinal are well-positioned from a depth standpoint.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)