Sep 4, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
On Wednesday night the Stanford basketball program received an important verbal commitment, one that shores up the backcourt for head coach Johnny Dawkins with starting point guard Aaron Bright entering his senior season.
According to Josh Gershon of Scout.com, 2014 point guard Robert Cartwright has verbally committed to attend the Pac-12 school (subscription required). The 6-3 Cartwright, who attends Flintridge Prep, is Stanford’s first verbal commitment in the 2014 class. And as noted above, Bright’s status is one of the reasons why this development is so important for the Cardinal.
Cartwright helped lead Flintridge Prep to a 22-7 record last season with averages of 18.8 points and 4.3 assists per game. He’s also a very good defender who will help Stanford in that department when he arrives on campus, combining with current freshmen Malcolm and Marcus Allen (they’re twins). And when 2014 rolls around Chasson Randle will be a senior, meaning that the Cardinal will have a primary scorer so as not to put too much pressure on the underclassmen.
Academics were an important part of the decision-making process for Cartwright, who chose to remain at Flintridge Prep for that very reason. “It’s a fantastic academic school,” Cartwright told Eric Sondheimer of the LA Times back in February. “The moment I stepped on here in seventh grade, I loved it. The teachers were wonderful, the kids were wonderful and I loved my coach.” And according to multiple outlets, once Cartwright received the go-ahead from admissions he was ready to commit to Stanford.
With Bright graduating in 2014 and Randle the following season, Stanford head coach Johnny Dawkins needed another piece moving forward. With Cartwright on board, the Cardinal are well-positioned from a depth standpoint.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)