Sep 4, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
Missouri transfer Michael Dixon has been cleared by the NCAA to play immediately at Memphis this season.
The news was first reported by Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com.
Dixon was suspended from Missouri for all of the 2012-2013 season, eventually being dismissed from the program and leaving school in November, after he was accused of sexual assault for a second time.
Dixon played three season at Missouri before sitting out what should have been his senior year, but he needed a waiver from the NCAA because he did not spend a year in residency at Memphis. Since the 2013-2014 season will be the final year in Dixon’s five-year window to use his four seasons of eligibility, not playing this season would have meant the end of his college basketball career.
With Dixon in the fold, Memphis will have one of the most loaded back courts in the country, one that will use four-guard lineups featuring Dixon, Joe Jackson, Geron Johnson and Chris Crawford quite often. (We went over what that means for Memphis in depth in this post.) Dixon’s defensive tenacity, ability to run the point and on-court leadership will be important for a Memphis team that has underachieved in recent seasons.
The bigger question, however, is whether or not it’s right for the NCAA to allow a kid that was booted from school for a pair of alleged sexual assaults to get a waiver. On the one hand, Dixon, like Dez Wells before him, was never charged in either case. But unlike Wells, Dixon didn’t have DA’s and prosecutors publicly supporting him and criticizing the university. Instead, he had Missouri’s AD “shredding” him to other AD’s.
Whatever the case, the argument is moot now.
Dixon will be allowed to play this season for the Tigers. He was the 2012 Defensive Player of the Year in the Big 12 and averaged 13.3 points and 3.5 assists for a team that won 30 games and was a No. 2 seed in the tournament. He can really, really play.
That makes Memphis a better basketball team, and a bigger threat to UConn and Louisville in the AAC.
— Geron Johnson (@G_Johnson55) September 4, 2013
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)