Sep 4, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Rick Barry, one of the greatest basketball players of all-time, breeds hoopers. His four oldest sons all eventually became professionals, with Brent and Jon carving out extensive NBA careers for themselves.
Barry has another kid in the basketball pipeline right now as well: Canyon Barry.
Canyon is a 6-foot-6 guard from Colorado that spent last season redshirting for the College of Charleston after becoming the third Barry to be recruited and signed by former Georgia Tech head coach Bobby Cremins; Cremins has since retired.
Barry redshirted as a freshman, which is probably why his name — and his free throw shooting style — are just now making their way across the internet. Rick Barry was known for his unorthodox approach to shooting free throws, as he became one of the most accurate free throw shooters of all-time by tossing them in underhanded.
Canyon does the same, as evidenced by this video from an exhibition vs. USC-Aiken last season:
“It’s logic. If you have one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, why wouldn’t you do it like that?” Canyon told Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“I always wanted to do that. But it wasn’t until junior year of high school when I made the switch. The main problem is that you have to have big enough hands to grip the top of the ball. Why not give it a try, it was only a matter of time until my hands were big enough.”
His dad knocked down free throws at a 90% clip. If Canyon does the same, no one will argue with him.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)