Sep 4, 2013, 9:53 AM EST
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Rick Barry, one of the greatest basketball players of all-time, breeds hoopers. His four oldest sons all eventually became professionals, with Brent and Jon carving out extensive NBA careers for themselves.
Barry has another kid in the basketball pipeline right now as well: Canyon Barry.
Canyon is a 6-foot-6 guard from Colorado that spent last season redshirting for the College of Charleston after becoming the third Barry to be recruited and signed by former Georgia Tech head coach Bobby Cremins; Cremins has since retired.
Barry redshirted as a freshman, which is probably why his name — and his free throw shooting style — are just now making their way across the internet. Rick Barry was known for his unorthodox approach to shooting free throws, as he became one of the most accurate free throw shooters of all-time by tossing them in underhanded.
Canyon does the same, as evidenced by this video from an exhibition vs. USC-Aiken last season:
“It’s logic. If you have one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, why wouldn’t you do it like that?” Canyon told Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“I always wanted to do that. But it wasn’t until junior year of high school when I made the switch. The main problem is that you have to have big enough hands to grip the top of the ball. Why not give it a try, it was only a matter of time until my hands were big enough.”
His dad knocked down free throws at a 90% clip. If Canyon does the same, no one will argue with him.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)