Sep 4, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Rick Barry, one of the greatest basketball players of all-time, breeds hoopers. His four oldest sons all eventually became professionals, with Brent and Jon carving out extensive NBA careers for themselves.
Barry has another kid in the basketball pipeline right now as well: Canyon Barry.
Canyon is a 6-foot-6 guard from Colorado that spent last season redshirting for the College of Charleston after becoming the third Barry to be recruited and signed by former Georgia Tech head coach Bobby Cremins; Cremins has since retired.
Barry redshirted as a freshman, which is probably why his name — and his free throw shooting style — are just now making their way across the internet. Rick Barry was known for his unorthodox approach to shooting free throws, as he became one of the most accurate free throw shooters of all-time by tossing them in underhanded.
Canyon does the same, as evidenced by this video from an exhibition vs. USC-Aiken last season:
“It’s logic. If you have one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, why wouldn’t you do it like that?” Canyon told Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“I always wanted to do that. But it wasn’t until junior year of high school when I made the switch. The main problem is that you have to have big enough hands to grip the top of the ball. Why not give it a try, it was only a matter of time until my hands were big enough.”
His dad knocked down free throws at a 90% clip. If Canyon does the same, no one will argue with him.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)