Sep 4, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Rick Barry, one of the greatest basketball players of all-time, breeds hoopers. His four oldest sons all eventually became professionals, with Brent and Jon carving out extensive NBA careers for themselves.
Barry has another kid in the basketball pipeline right now as well: Canyon Barry.
Canyon is a 6-foot-6 guard from Colorado that spent last season redshirting for the College of Charleston after becoming the third Barry to be recruited and signed by former Georgia Tech head coach Bobby Cremins; Cremins has since retired.
Barry redshirted as a freshman, which is probably why his name — and his free throw shooting style — are just now making their way across the internet. Rick Barry was known for his unorthodox approach to shooting free throws, as he became one of the most accurate free throw shooters of all-time by tossing them in underhanded.
Canyon does the same, as evidenced by this video from an exhibition vs. USC-Aiken last season:
“It’s logic. If you have one of the greatest free throw shooters of all time, why wouldn’t you do it like that?” Canyon told Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
“I always wanted to do that. But it wasn’t until junior year of high school when I made the switch. The main problem is that you have to have big enough hands to grip the top of the ball. Why not give it a try, it was only a matter of time until my hands were big enough.”
His dad knocked down free throws at a 90% clip. If Canyon does the same, no one will argue with him.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)