Sep 5, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Geno Auriemma will be making a return to the Olympics.
Auriemma, UConn’s legendary women’s coach, will be the first coach to return for a second run at Olympic glory, having led the USA to Olympic gold in 2012. The news will be announced on Friday, according to the AP.
Auriemma had long said that he had no interest in returning to the Olympic sidelines similar to the way that Mike Krzyzewski had long intimated he didn’t want to return to USA basketball for the next Olympics. But Coach K will be coaching Team USA in Rio de Janeiro, and Auriemma will as well.
I do enjoy seeing coaches from the college ranks racking up the gold medals. And if there’s anything we know about the Duke men and the UConn women, it’s that their coach’s dedication to the Stars and Bars hasn’t hurt the programs.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)