Sep 5, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Geno Auriemma will be making a return to the Olympics.
Auriemma, UConn’s legendary women’s coach, will be the first coach to return for a second run at Olympic glory, having led the USA to Olympic gold in 2012. The news will be announced on Friday, according to the AP.
Auriemma had long said that he had no interest in returning to the Olympic sidelines similar to the way that Mike Krzyzewski had long intimated he didn’t want to return to USA basketball for the next Olympics. But Coach K will be coaching Team USA in Rio de Janeiro, and Auriemma will as well.
I do enjoy seeing coaches from the college ranks racking up the gold medals. And if there’s anything we know about the Duke men and the UConn women, it’s that their coach’s dedication to the Stars and Bars hasn’t hurt the programs.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)