Sep 5, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Geno Auriemma will be making a return to the Olympics.
Auriemma, UConn’s legendary women’s coach, will be the first coach to return for a second run at Olympic glory, having led the USA to Olympic gold in 2012. The news will be announced on Friday, according to the AP.
Auriemma had long said that he had no interest in returning to the Olympic sidelines similar to the way that Mike Krzyzewski had long intimated he didn’t want to return to USA basketball for the next Olympics. But Coach K will be coaching Team USA in Rio de Janeiro, and Auriemma will as well.
I do enjoy seeing coaches from the college ranks racking up the gold medals. And if there’s anything we know about the Duke men and the UConn women, it’s that their coach’s dedication to the Stars and Bars hasn’t hurt the programs.
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 4
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (4)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (4)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)