Sep 5, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Geno Auriemma will be making a return to the Olympics.
Auriemma, UConn’s legendary women’s coach, will be the first coach to return for a second run at Olympic glory, having led the USA to Olympic gold in 2012. The news will be announced on Friday, according to the AP.
Auriemma had long said that he had no interest in returning to the Olympic sidelines similar to the way that Mike Krzyzewski had long intimated he didn’t want to return to USA basketball for the next Olympics. But Coach K will be coaching Team USA in Rio de Janeiro, and Auriemma will as well.
I do enjoy seeing coaches from the college ranks racking up the gold medals. And if there’s anything we know about the Duke men and the UConn women, it’s that their coach’s dedication to the Stars and Bars hasn’t hurt the programs.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)