Sep 5, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
Good news hit upstate New York this morning as the NCAA informed Syracuse that incoming freshman Tyler Roberson has been cleared to play immediately. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein.
Sources told NBCSports.com that he was on campus this morning. According to Syracuse.com, Roberson will be attending class for the first time today. The fall semester at Syracuse started last week.
Roberson, a top 40 recruit according to Rivals, is your prototypical Syracuse forward: he’s 6-foot-8, he’s athletic and he’s got long and lanky arms that will creates problems in Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone.
The hold up for Roberson was waiting for his high school transcript to be cleared through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center. Per Mike Waters of Syracuse.com, Roberson took summer courses at Roselle Catholic, his high school, in order to raise his GPA, and the NCAA’s vetting of that coursework was the cause of the two-week hold-up.
It’s a relief for the Orange — and for Roberson — to have this process over with and to finally get him into class and into the program, but there is frustration as well. He’s behind his classmates and his teammates now, but making up a week’s worth of work is better than trying to make up a semester or a full year.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)