Sep 5, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
Good news hit upstate New York this morning as the NCAA informed Syracuse that incoming freshman Tyler Roberson has been cleared to play immediately. The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein.
Sources told NBCSports.com that he was on campus this morning. According to Syracuse.com, Roberson will be attending class for the first time today. The fall semester at Syracuse started last week.
Roberson, a top 40 recruit according to Rivals, is your prototypical Syracuse forward: he’s 6-foot-8, he’s athletic and he’s got long and lanky arms that will creates problems in Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone.
The hold up for Roberson was waiting for his high school transcript to be cleared through the NCAA’s Eligibility Center. Per Mike Waters of Syracuse.com, Roberson took summer courses at Roselle Catholic, his high school, in order to raise his GPA, and the NCAA’s vetting of that coursework was the cause of the two-week hold-up.
It’s a relief for the Orange — and for Roberson — to have this process over with and to finally get him into class and into the program, but there is frustration as well. He’s behind his classmates and his teammates now, but making up a week’s worth of work is better than trying to make up a semester or a full year.
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)