Sep 6, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Xavier guard Myles Davis, one of the premier perimeter shooters in the 2012 class, was forced to sit out the entire 2012-13 season after courses he took at Notre Dame Prep were invalidated by the NCAA. So Davis, without the ability to join the Xavier basketball program, was simply a student at Xavier last season. Now eligible, Davis is expected to be a key contributor for the Musketeers as they play their inaugural season in the Big East.
Davis’ path back to the court hit a minor bump in the road however, as it was reported by Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer that the 6-2 guard underwent a minor arthroscopic procedure to repair a mild cartilage tear in his left knee.
“We felt it was best to take care of it now,” said Dr. Robert Burger, who added that surgery went well.
“He should be able to resume some basketball activities within a few weeks and we hope and expect that he will be 100 percent for the start of the season.”
Xavier wasn’t a bad three-point shooting team last season as their percentage of 35% ranked sixth in the Atlantic 10. But it can be argued that the percentage was in part a result of Chris Mack’s team not taking many shots from deep. The Musketeers’ 400 attempts ranked 15th in the Atlantic 10, and their 140 made three-pointers ranked 14th in the conference.
Adding Myles to the fold has the potential to open up driving lanes for point guard Semaj Christon, who was one of the best freshmen in the A-10 last season. The Musketeers return three of their top four scorers from last season’s 17-14 squad, including guard Dee Davis and wing Justin Martin.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)