Sep 6, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Xavier guard Myles Davis, one of the premier perimeter shooters in the 2012 class, was forced to sit out the entire 2012-13 season after courses he took at Notre Dame Prep were invalidated by the NCAA. So Davis, without the ability to join the Xavier basketball program, was simply a student at Xavier last season. Now eligible, Davis is expected to be a key contributor for the Musketeers as they play their inaugural season in the Big East.
Davis’ path back to the court hit a minor bump in the road however, as it was reported by Shannon Russell of the Cincinnati Enquirer that the 6-2 guard underwent a minor arthroscopic procedure to repair a mild cartilage tear in his left knee.
“We felt it was best to take care of it now,” said Dr. Robert Burger, who added that surgery went well.
“He should be able to resume some basketball activities within a few weeks and we hope and expect that he will be 100 percent for the start of the season.”
Xavier wasn’t a bad three-point shooting team last season as their percentage of 35% ranked sixth in the Atlantic 10. But it can be argued that the percentage was in part a result of Chris Mack’s team not taking many shots from deep. The Musketeers’ 400 attempts ranked 15th in the Atlantic 10, and their 140 made three-pointers ranked 14th in the conference.
Adding Myles to the fold has the potential to open up driving lanes for point guard Semaj Christon, who was one of the best freshmen in the A-10 last season. The Musketeers return three of their top four scorers from last season’s 17-14 squad, including guard Dee Davis and wing Justin Martin.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)