Sep 7, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
North Carolina State landed a big commitment on Saturday afternoon as 6’8″ power forward Abdul Malik Abu announced his collegiate decision from the Reggie Lewis Center in Roxbury Crossing, Massachusetts alongside Expressions Elite AAU teammate Jared Terrell.
Abu, regarded as Rivals’ No. 50 overall prospect in the class of 2014, gives the Wolfpack and head coach Mark Gottfried a huge boost in the class as he joins twin wing-shooters Caleb and Cody Martin in N.C. State’s 2014 recruiting class.
The 233-pound forward from Kimball Union Academy had a strong spring and summer in the EYBL and on the camp circuit as he displayed a high motor and an ability to score and rebound on the interior.
Abu, who chose N.C. State over his other finalists of Florida, Providence and UConn, averaged 14.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game this spring in the EYBL and helped lead Expressions Elite to a 13-5 record and an appearance in the prestigious Nike Peach Jam.
“Abdul liked N.C. State and the fact that he could come in and play right away,” Expressions Elite head coach Ty Boswell told NBC Sports’ Terrence Payne in late August. “He liked the overall atmosphere of the school, and he had a real good conversation with the coaching staff.”
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)