Sep 7, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
North Carolina State landed a big commitment on Saturday afternoon as 6’8″ power forward Abdul Malik Abu announced his collegiate decision from the Reggie Lewis Center in Roxbury Crossing, Massachusetts alongside Expressions Elite AAU teammate Jared Terrell.
Abu, regarded as Rivals’ No. 50 overall prospect in the class of 2014, gives the Wolfpack and head coach Mark Gottfried a huge boost in the class as he joins twin wing-shooters Caleb and Cody Martin in N.C. State’s 2014 recruiting class.
The 233-pound forward from Kimball Union Academy had a strong spring and summer in the EYBL and on the camp circuit as he displayed a high motor and an ability to score and rebound on the interior.
Abu, who chose N.C. State over his other finalists of Florida, Providence and UConn, averaged 14.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game this spring in the EYBL and helped lead Expressions Elite to a 13-5 record and an appearance in the prestigious Nike Peach Jam.
“Abdul liked N.C. State and the fact that he could come in and play right away,” Expressions Elite head coach Ty Boswell told NBC Sports’ Terrence Payne in late August. “He liked the overall atmosphere of the school, and he had a real good conversation with the coaching staff.”
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)