Sep 7, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Last week, the Auburn Tigers added Indiana-native Sam Logwood as the first commitment to it’s 2014 class, but late this week they added a second member of the 2014 class by nabbing Australia-native and wing shooter Jack Purchase.
Purchase, a 6’9″ forward, took an official visit to Auburn with Logwood last weekend and the duo now forms the start of head coach Tony Barbee’s latest class.
Purchase played for the Melbourne Tigers last season and averaged 21.3 points, 8.7 rebounds and 5.8 assists and hit 47.8 percent of his three-pointers. While it’s hard to gauge how good the competition is for those kinds of numbers, 47 percent from three-point range is impressive no matter how you cut it, especially for a 6’9″ forward. Purchase has also competed for the Australian U17 National team.
The son of former Australian NBL player Nigel Purchase, Jack is one of a few Australians — along with Dante Exum and Ben Simmons — that could make a splash in the American college basketball scene in the next few seasons.
Here’s some video of Auburn’s newest recruit. Purchase is wearing No. 20 in the video.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 0
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 7
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 35
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (35)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- R.J. Hunter, No. 14 Georgia State beat No. 3 Baylor in final seconds (VIDEO) (16)