Sep 7, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Liggins may be best remembered by college hoops fans as the big guard who provided some experience and leadership for John Calipari’s freshman-laden 2011 Final Four team.
All of that poise seems to have deserted Liggins, who was charged with seven felony counts, including kidnapping, domestic abuse and battery on Friday.
Liggins was immediately waived by the Oklahoma City Thunder, the NBA team he was hoping to play for next season, though the Thunder’s press release didn’t give any reason for the decision.
The Lexington newspaper pulled some of the horrifying details of Liggins’ domestic incident from Oklahoma City newspaper reports.
Liggins, who played at UK from 2008-11, was arrested over the weekend after his girlfriend (Jasmine Horton) told police he attacked her in front of their 2-year-old son.
A probable cause affidavit filed in Oklahoma County District Court said Horton told police that Liggins punched and hit her at their home. When Horton locked herself in a bedroom, Liggins “kicked the door in and pushed her down” before dropping a fan on her, stomping her with his foot and then dropping an Xbox on her head, according to the affidavit.
The Oklahoman reported that a doctor who examined the victim said she suffered from a shoulder separation, bruising on the back of her head and multiple scrapes about her neck and back, according to the affidavit.
Liggins is denying that he made any assault, according to his lawyer. The Lexington paper reports that Liggins was visiting his alma mater on Friday, where he posed for an Instagram photo with Calipari. The coach captioned the photo “My sons are starting to roll in to Lexington for this weekend.”
Liggins is presumably in town for Calipari’s charity alumni basketball game, scheduled to be played on Monday. Whether he’ll stay in town for the event in light of current circumstances remains to be seen.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)