Sep 7, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Liggins may be best remembered by college hoops fans as the big guard who provided some experience and leadership for John Calipari’s freshman-laden 2011 Final Four team.
All of that poise seems to have deserted Liggins, who was charged with seven felony counts, including kidnapping, domestic abuse and battery on Friday.
Liggins was immediately waived by the Oklahoma City Thunder, the NBA team he was hoping to play for next season, though the Thunder’s press release didn’t give any reason for the decision.
The Lexington newspaper pulled some of the horrifying details of Liggins’ domestic incident from Oklahoma City newspaper reports.
Liggins, who played at UK from 2008-11, was arrested over the weekend after his girlfriend (Jasmine Horton) told police he attacked her in front of their 2-year-old son.
A probable cause affidavit filed in Oklahoma County District Court said Horton told police that Liggins punched and hit her at their home. When Horton locked herself in a bedroom, Liggins “kicked the door in and pushed her down” before dropping a fan on her, stomping her with his foot and then dropping an Xbox on her head, according to the affidavit.
The Oklahoman reported that a doctor who examined the victim said she suffered from a shoulder separation, bruising on the back of her head and multiple scrapes about her neck and back, according to the affidavit.
Liggins is denying that he made any assault, according to his lawyer. The Lexington paper reports that Liggins was visiting his alma mater on Friday, where he posed for an Instagram photo with Calipari. The coach captioned the photo “My sons are starting to roll in to Lexington for this weekend.”
Liggins is presumably in town for Calipari’s charity alumni basketball game, scheduled to be played on Monday. Whether he’ll stay in town for the event in light of current circumstances remains to be seen.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)