Sep 7, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Ronnie White didn’t play basketball in high school. In fact, he didn’t even have a full scholarship during his first season of junior college ball at Danville (Ill.) Area Community College.
But despite having a half-scholarship and no high school basketball experience, the 22-year-old forward was a force last season, averaging 10 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game in only 20.3 minutes per game while shooting 54.5 percent from the field.
Arkansas State took notice of White’s production and had him on an official visit to campus last weekend, and White committed this week to join Red Wolves’ 2014 class. The 6’9″ 230-pound White now attends Paris (Tx.) Junior College for his sophomore season.
Jeff Reed of the Scout.com Arkansas State website State Nation has more on White’s interesting background, including how he was discovered by his junior college coach at a Fourth of July basketball tournament in Danville, Illinois.
After graduation he was working and playing recreational basketball until a trip to The Dustbowl Basketball Tournament in Danville. Ill., an annual event that attracts college-level and post-college players in a July 4 competition.“Some friends called me and asked me to come play with them,” he said. “While I was there a coach from Danville saw me play.”Upon learning he had not enrolled in college Danville offered him a half-scholarship, where he turned in a strong performance in just his first season of basketball.“Arkansas State is getting a good one,” said Taylor. “I had two high majors (Kansas State and Iowa State) call about him last week. He has lots of offers but that is all a moot point now.”
White joins 6’4″ shooting guard Connor Kern in Arkansas State’s 2014 recruiting class.
There aren’t a lot of Division I basketball players that make it that far with zero high school basketball experience, but it certainly seems like White has a chance to earn some minutes for the Red Wolves when he steps on campus next season.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)