Sep 7, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Ronnie White didn’t play basketball in high school. In fact, he didn’t even have a full scholarship during his first season of junior college ball at Danville (Ill.) Area Community College.
But despite having a half-scholarship and no high school basketball experience, the 22-year-old forward was a force last season, averaging 10 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game in only 20.3 minutes per game while shooting 54.5 percent from the field.
Arkansas State took notice of White’s production and had him on an official visit to campus last weekend, and White committed this week to join Red Wolves’ 2014 class. The 6’9″ 230-pound White now attends Paris (Tx.) Junior College for his sophomore season.
Jeff Reed of the Scout.com Arkansas State website State Nation has more on White’s interesting background, including how he was discovered by his junior college coach at a Fourth of July basketball tournament in Danville, Illinois.
After graduation he was working and playing recreational basketball until a trip to The Dustbowl Basketball Tournament in Danville. Ill., an annual event that attracts college-level and post-college players in a July 4 competition.“Some friends called me and asked me to come play with them,” he said. “While I was there a coach from Danville saw me play.”Upon learning he had not enrolled in college Danville offered him a half-scholarship, where he turned in a strong performance in just his first season of basketball.“Arkansas State is getting a good one,” said Taylor. “I had two high majors (Kansas State and Iowa State) call about him last week. He has lots of offers but that is all a moot point now.”
White joins 6’4″ shooting guard Connor Kern in Arkansas State’s 2014 recruiting class.
There aren’t a lot of Division I basketball players that make it that far with zero high school basketball experience, but it certainly seems like White has a chance to earn some minutes for the Red Wolves when he steps on campus next season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)