Sep 7, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Ronnie White didn’t play basketball in high school. In fact, he didn’t even have a full scholarship during his first season of junior college ball at Danville (Ill.) Area Community College.
But despite having a half-scholarship and no high school basketball experience, the 22-year-old forward was a force last season, averaging 10 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game in only 20.3 minutes per game while shooting 54.5 percent from the field.
Arkansas State took notice of White’s production and had him on an official visit to campus last weekend, and White committed this week to join Red Wolves’ 2014 class. The 6’9″ 230-pound White now attends Paris (Tx.) Junior College for his sophomore season.
Jeff Reed of the Scout.com Arkansas State website State Nation has more on White’s interesting background, including how he was discovered by his junior college coach at a Fourth of July basketball tournament in Danville, Illinois.
After graduation he was working and playing recreational basketball until a trip to The Dustbowl Basketball Tournament in Danville. Ill., an annual event that attracts college-level and post-college players in a July 4 competition.“Some friends called me and asked me to come play with them,” he said. “While I was there a coach from Danville saw me play.”Upon learning he had not enrolled in college Danville offered him a half-scholarship, where he turned in a strong performance in just his first season of basketball.“Arkansas State is getting a good one,” said Taylor. “I had two high majors (Kansas State and Iowa State) call about him last week. He has lots of offers but that is all a moot point now.”
White joins 6’4″ shooting guard Connor Kern in Arkansas State’s 2014 recruiting class.
There aren’t a lot of Division I basketball players that make it that far with zero high school basketball experience, but it certainly seems like White has a chance to earn some minutes for the Red Wolves when he steps on campus next season.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)