Sep 8, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Delaware has started its Class of 2014 by getting a commitment from James M. Bennett High (Md.) point guard Kory Holden on Saturday night, while he was on an official visit.
This commitment came via Edgar Walker of DMVElite.com, who tweeted the news.
Holden is a three-star point guard according to Rivals, who held offers from other programs such as LIU-Brooklyn, Middle Tennessee State, Robert Morris, Southern Miss and Towson. This past season at J.M. Bennett, he guided the Clippers to an 18-3 record, averaging 25 points per game. The 6-foot-2 Salisbury native was also named Bayside Conference Player of the Year, and was named to DMVElite’s Fourth Team.
Monte Ross has a talented backcourt in the CAA this season with leading scorer Devon Saddler (19.9 points per game) as well as Jarvis Threatt (13.0) and Kyle Anderson (9.1). Davon Usher averaged 18.8 points per game at Mississippi Valley State, and will be eligible to play immediately this season after transferring to U-D in July. The Blue Hens are looking like an early favorite in the CAA this season after finishing tied for second in the conference last season before being upset by James Madison in the CAA tournament semifinals. The addition of the three-star floor general looks like that backcourt will continue to be strong for the foreseeable future.
Holden played with Baltimore Elite this summer, averaging 9.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game in the Nike EYBL.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)