Sep 8, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Delaware has started its Class of 2014 by getting a commitment from James M. Bennett High (Md.) point guard Kory Holden on Saturday night, while he was on an official visit.
This commitment came via Edgar Walker of DMVElite.com, who tweeted the news.
Holden is a three-star point guard according to Rivals, who held offers from other programs such as LIU-Brooklyn, Middle Tennessee State, Robert Morris, Southern Miss and Towson. This past season at J.M. Bennett, he guided the Clippers to an 18-3 record, averaging 25 points per game. The 6-foot-2 Salisbury native was also named Bayside Conference Player of the Year, and was named to DMVElite’s Fourth Team.
Monte Ross has a talented backcourt in the CAA this season with leading scorer Devon Saddler (19.9 points per game) as well as Jarvis Threatt (13.0) and Kyle Anderson (9.1). Davon Usher averaged 18.8 points per game at Mississippi Valley State, and will be eligible to play immediately this season after transferring to U-D in July. The Blue Hens are looking like an early favorite in the CAA this season after finishing tied for second in the conference last season before being upset by James Madison in the CAA tournament semifinals. The addition of the three-star floor general looks like that backcourt will continue to be strong for the foreseeable future.
Holden played with Baltimore Elite this summer, averaging 9.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game in the Nike EYBL.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)