Sep 8, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Delaware has started its Class of 2014 by getting a commitment from James M. Bennett High (Md.) point guard Kory Holden on Saturday night, while he was on an official visit.
This commitment came via Edgar Walker of DMVElite.com, who tweeted the news.
Holden is a three-star point guard according to Rivals, who held offers from other programs such as LIU-Brooklyn, Middle Tennessee State, Robert Morris, Southern Miss and Towson. This past season at J.M. Bennett, he guided the Clippers to an 18-3 record, averaging 25 points per game. The 6-foot-2 Salisbury native was also named Bayside Conference Player of the Year, and was named to DMVElite’s Fourth Team.
Monte Ross has a talented backcourt in the CAA this season with leading scorer Devon Saddler (19.9 points per game) as well as Jarvis Threatt (13.0) and Kyle Anderson (9.1). Davon Usher averaged 18.8 points per game at Mississippi Valley State, and will be eligible to play immediately this season after transferring to U-D in July. The Blue Hens are looking like an early favorite in the CAA this season after finishing tied for second in the conference last season before being upset by James Madison in the CAA tournament semifinals. The addition of the three-star floor general looks like that backcourt will continue to be strong for the foreseeable future.
Holden played with Baltimore Elite this summer, averaging 9.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game in the Nike EYBL.
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)