Sep 9, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
The NCAA’s investigation into ‘major’ violations at Iowa State is finally over, and the effect on the Cyclone program going forward will be largely negligible.
There will be no additional penalties for the men’s hoops program, as Fred Hoiberg’s team has already worked their way through a handful of self-imposed recruiting restrictions, but the school will be on probation for two years.
The case was deemed major by the NCAA, largely due to the fact that almost 1,500 impermissible calls and texts were dug up between 2008 and 2011. While much of that was traced back to clerical errors, some of the violations that were committed aren’t even illegal anymore.
Iowa State began investigating itself back in April of 2011 when Hoiberg saw then-graduate assistant Lefty Moore at a game that Hoiberg’s son was playing in. Hoiberg soon learned that Moore was in contact with players that ISU was recruiting, and that’s what launched the audit. The initial report was filed later that year, with the summary disposition getting released five months ago the infractions committee reviewing the documents three months ago.
That’s a long time to wait just to hear the NCAA say ‘don’t worry’.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)