Sep 9, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
Monday was a productive day for Pat Skerry and the Towson Tigers. Skerry secured commitments from two in-state guards for the Class of 2014.
Mount St. Joseph High (Md.) senior wing Jorden McNeil picked Towson over offers from College of Charleston, Toledo and UMBC while Clinton Christian School combo guard Byron Hawkins chose the Tigers over schools such as St. Joseph’s, George Washington and George Mason.
“It’s local and their basketball team was on the rise,” McNeil told the Baltimore Sun on Monday afternoon, following his decision. “I really liked it. I didn’t have any reason to wait, so I made the decision.”
“My visit was just so great and I really enjoyed my time there with the team, and the school was so fun,” Hawkins told Jamie Shaw after he made his pick. “I have a lot of faith in Coach Skerry and the staff, so that helped.”
The future backcourt mates join Milford Mill Academy small forward Allen Costley and Saint John’s High shooting guard Mike Morsell in Towson’s Class of 2014.
Skerry is continuing to move Towson in the right direction. He had success on the floor with a 17-win turnaround this past season, and is putting together nice work on the recruiting trail with four commits in its current recruiting class from the Baltimore-Washington D.C. area.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)