Sep 10, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
If you don’t know of Doug Gottlieb’s story when he was a young and immature college basketball player at Notre Dame, here’s the short of it: In the spring of 1996 after the conclusion of his freshman season, Gottlieb betrayed the trust of a fellow Notre Dame student who graciously allowed him to use his computer by taking his credit card and having himself a little online shopping spree.
Like so many college students who believe they are invincible, Gottlieb thought he’d be able to get away with this foolish act — the starting point guard for Notre Dame can do anything, right?
Well, as you’d expect, Gottlieb was caught and immediately bounced from Notre Dame. What happened next? He grew up.
Today, 17 years after the fact, Gottlieb sees a lot of current Texas A&M quarterback and the face of college athletics Johnny Manziel in that foolish kid he was once upon a time.
“Johnny has that same arrogance I had. The difference is nobody was putting me on the cover of Time Magazine, making me a poster boy for why college athletes should be paid,” Gottlieb wrote.
Gottlieb’s larger point is not about Johnny Manziel though, it is about the entitlement that college athletes seem to have today, particularly the ones playing on the largest of stages.
There will always be an argument of whether student-athletes deserve to be paid or not for their play, but Gottlieb argues that many are losing sight of the value of a scholarship to college and what that affords these student-athletes. Essentially, the scholarship to a highly-selective and expensive school is the payment.
Whether you agree with Gottlieb’s stance or not, his article is well worth the time to read. It’s a thought-provoking piece from someone who was once in a similar spot as Johnny Manziel. Check it out here.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)