Sep 10, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s always a treat when we see college basketball coaches speaking outside of a crowded gym or full press room cluttered with reporters. When they are speaking off the cuff about non-basketball related things, it humanizes them, so to speak.
Last weekend at the “Duke basketball campout,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski had the mic and began to do some storytelling. You’re better off watching the video, but the gist of it is that Coach K professed his love for Beyonce. Yes, Beyonce Knowles, Jay-Z’s wife.
The short of it is that when LeBron Jaemes, who was to be honored as Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year, asked him to give his introductory speech, Coach K was thrilled having coached King James on the USA Olympic team. Yet, fast forward to the actual ceremony, he was baffled that as he sat down in the front row he found two empty seats surrounding him. Unbeknownst to him, those two seats belonged to Beyonce and Jay-Z.
It sure is good to know that Coach K’s wife and three daughters already knew of his affection for Beyonce.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)