Sep 10, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Everyone’s favorite WCC player Matthew Dellavedova is inching closer to earning a spot on an NBA roster.
After going undrafted in the 2013 NBA Draft, Dellavedova recently inked a two year, $1.3 million contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
While there are no guarantees, things are looking bright for the St. Mary’s grad who hails from Australia.
Delly tweeted last night:
He told the Herald Sun: “Cleveland is looking for a third point guard and I have a shot at it.”
With injury-prone Kyrie Irving as the Cavaliers’ starting point guard and Jarrett Jack seeing additional minutes as a shooting guard next season, there is room for Dellavedova on the roster.
“I talked to Coach Brown a bit. He told me what he was looking for, that third point guard to push Irving and [Dion] Waiters in practice,” said Dellavedova.
Delly rewrote the record books in his four years at St. Mary’s as he is the all-time leader in scoring, assists, games played, free throw percentage and three-point shots. For his career, he averaged 14.2 points, 5.6 assists, 1.1 steals, and shot a blistering 86% FT.
College hoop fans grew fond of watching his late-night WCC games over the years, and seeing him get the opportunity to play in the NBA now is surely a welcome sign.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (11)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (10)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)