Sep 10, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Everyone’s favorite WCC player Matthew Dellavedova is inching closer to earning a spot on an NBA roster.
After going undrafted in the 2013 NBA Draft, Dellavedova recently inked a two year, $1.3 million contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
While there are no guarantees, things are looking bright for the St. Mary’s grad who hails from Australia.
Delly tweeted last night:
He told the Herald Sun: “Cleveland is looking for a third point guard and I have a shot at it.”
With injury-prone Kyrie Irving as the Cavaliers’ starting point guard and Jarrett Jack seeing additional minutes as a shooting guard next season, there is room for Dellavedova on the roster.
“I talked to Coach Brown a bit. He told me what he was looking for, that third point guard to push Irving and [Dion] Waiters in practice,” said Dellavedova.
Delly rewrote the record books in his four years at St. Mary’s as he is the all-time leader in scoring, assists, games played, free throw percentage and three-point shots. For his career, he averaged 14.2 points, 5.6 assists, 1.1 steals, and shot a blistering 86% FT.
College hoop fans grew fond of watching his late-night WCC games over the years, and seeing him get the opportunity to play in the NBA now is surely a welcome sign.
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)