Sep 10, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Everyone’s favorite WCC player Matthew Dellavedova is inching closer to earning a spot on an NBA roster.
After going undrafted in the 2013 NBA Draft, Dellavedova recently inked a two year, $1.3 million contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
While there are no guarantees, things are looking bright for the St. Mary’s grad who hails from Australia.
Delly tweeted last night:
He told the Herald Sun: “Cleveland is looking for a third point guard and I have a shot at it.”
With injury-prone Kyrie Irving as the Cavaliers’ starting point guard and Jarrett Jack seeing additional minutes as a shooting guard next season, there is room for Dellavedova on the roster.
“I talked to Coach Brown a bit. He told me what he was looking for, that third point guard to push Irving and [Dion] Waiters in practice,” said Dellavedova.
Delly rewrote the record books in his four years at St. Mary’s as he is the all-time leader in scoring, assists, games played, free throw percentage and three-point shots. For his career, he averaged 14.2 points, 5.6 assists, 1.1 steals, and shot a blistering 86% FT.
College hoop fans grew fond of watching his late-night WCC games over the years, and seeing him get the opportunity to play in the NBA now is surely a welcome sign.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)