Sep 11, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
When Andy Enfield took over as head coach at USC the question was how long would the process of turning the Trojans into a factor in the Pac-12 take. On Wednesday the head coach received an important verbal commitment, as Etiwanda (Calif.) point guard Jordan McLaughlin announced his decision to attend USC (subscription required).
The 5-11 McLaughlin picked the Trojans over crosstown rival UCLA but this doesn’t change much for the Bruins, as they continue their pursuit of former Louisville commit Quentin Snider (and keep in mind the fact that they’ve got freshman Zach Levine).
The addition of McLaughlin fills a need for USC, which will rely largely upon Maryland transfer Pe’Shon Howard to handle the point guard responsibilities in 2013-14. Howard (3.3 ppg, 3.6 apg) has just one year of eligibility remaining, and the question of where the Trojans will turn in 2014-15 was an important one to answer. In McLaughlin they’ve got themselves a talented prospect who will likely be handed the keys to the USC offense upon his arrival.
McLaughlin, who averaged 15.6 points per game and helped lead Etiwanda High to a CIF-SS Class-1AA title last season (they knocked off a Mater Dei squad led by the highly-touted Stanley Johnson in the title game), joins a perimeter rotation that will also feature UNLV transfer Katin Reinhardt and 6-5 wing Byron Wesley next season. Add in this year’s current crop of freshmen on the perimeter (Khalil Dukes, Julian Jacobs and Roschon Prince), and USC has the potential to put forth a formidable group next season.
McLaughlin joins power forward Malik Price-Martin as commitments in USC’s 2014 class, and with centers D.J. Haley (transferred in from VCU) and Omar Oraby both being seniors the Trojans will have more work to do on the recruiting trail when it comes to their interior options.
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0