Sep 11, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley’s career as a head coach in the MAC will get off to a good start given that Javon McCrea, one of the nation’s most underrated players, will anchor the roster in his first year.
But to continue to build the program in a conference that includes perennial title contenders Akron and Ohio, Hurley will need to start luring in some talent of his own. On Tuesday evening, he did just that, as Lamonte Bearden committed to spend his collegiate career as a Bull.
Bearden is a 6-foot-1 Wisconsin native and a speedster at the point with the ability to see the floor and finish around the rim. He’s got a boatload of talent and ability, enough so that he ranks as a four-star recruit by Scout and was considered by most recruiting pundits to be a high-major caliber player. Rivals’ Eric Bossi called Bearden “one of the top five steals of 2014 recruiting class”.
And now consider this: Bearden is heading to a school where his talent will be cultivated by one of the best collegiate point guards we have ever seen in Hurley.
So how did Bearden end up at Buffalo? Academic concerns, according to Jeff Eisenberg. Some bigger schools appear to have been scared off by the fact that Bearden may not get eligible.
Only time will tell, but for now, the future looks bright for both Bearden and Buffalo.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)