Sep 11, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Bobby Hurley’s career as a head coach in the MAC will get off to a good start given that Javon McCrea, one of the nation’s most underrated players, will anchor the roster in his first year.
But to continue to build the program in a conference that includes perennial title contenders Akron and Ohio, Hurley will need to start luring in some talent of his own. On Tuesday evening, he did just that, as Lamonte Bearden committed to spend his collegiate career as a Bull.
Bearden is a 6-foot-1 Wisconsin native and a speedster at the point with the ability to see the floor and finish around the rim. He’s got a boatload of talent and ability, enough so that he ranks as a four-star recruit by Scout and was considered by most recruiting pundits to be a high-major caliber player. Rivals’ Eric Bossi called Bearden “one of the top five steals of 2014 recruiting class”.
And now consider this: Bearden is heading to a school where his talent will be cultivated by one of the best collegiate point guards we have ever seen in Hurley.
So how did Bearden end up at Buffalo? Academic concerns, according to Jeff Eisenberg. Some bigger schools appear to have been scared off by the fact that Bearden may not get eligible.
Only time will tell, but for now, the future looks bright for both Bearden and Buffalo.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)