Sep 11, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Bobby Hurley’s career as a head coach in the MAC will get off to a good start given that Javon McCrea, one of the nation’s most underrated players, will anchor the roster in his first year.
But to continue to build the program in a conference that includes perennial title contenders Akron and Ohio, Hurley will need to start luring in some talent of his own. On Tuesday evening, he did just that, as Lamonte Bearden committed to spend his collegiate career as a Bull.
Bearden is a 6-foot-1 Wisconsin native and a speedster at the point with the ability to see the floor and finish around the rim. He’s got a boatload of talent and ability, enough so that he ranks as a four-star recruit by Scout and was considered by most recruiting pundits to be a high-major caliber player. Rivals’ Eric Bossi called Bearden “one of the top five steals of 2014 recruiting class”.
And now consider this: Bearden is heading to a school where his talent will be cultivated by one of the best collegiate point guards we have ever seen in Hurley.
So how did Bearden end up at Buffalo? Academic concerns, according to Jeff Eisenberg. Some bigger schools appear to have been scared off by the fact that Bearden may not get eligible.
Only time will tell, but for now, the future looks bright for both Bearden and Buffalo.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)