Sep 11, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
One of the country’s most interesting recruitments could be coming to a close as early as this week.
Tyler Ulis, a 5-foot-8 point guard out of Chicago, finished up his final official visit on Monday night, attending Kentucky’s Alumni Game down in Lexington. His father told the Lexington Herald-Leader that Tyler will be making a decision between Kentucky, Michigan State and Iowa soon, possibly this week.
“Tyler and I had a good conversation last night on the drive home,” the elder Ulis told the Herald-Leader. “We’re going to talk again later today or early tomorrow. I know it’s coming. … I think he’s ready for it to be over.”
(UPDATE: He will be announcing his decision Friday night.)
Ulis’ recruitment took off this summer, as he played some terrific basketball on the EYBL circuit and proved himself to be, pound-for-pound, one of the toughest players in the country. He’s cracked the top 40 on some recruiting lists, and is widely considered to be a four-star recruit. Ulis is not a one-and-done player and he’s not the kind of point guard that can take over a game, but he’s a floor general in every sense, he can create off of the dribble and he’s an excellent defender.
Iowa and Michigan State were initially the favorites, but with Emmanuel Mudiay picking SMU and Tyus Jones appearing to be a Duke lean, Kentucky came on late and offered Ulis a scholarship.
With the lack of available talent at the point guard spot, Ulis has become a priority recruit for both Tom Izzo and John Calipari.
His skill set probably fits in with the Spartans more than the Wildcats, but the allure of Big Blue Nation and the pipeline of Coach Cal’s point guards to the NBA will be hard to pass up.
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)