Sep 11, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
Designing new basketball courts has become all the rage in college hoops this offseason, and Rhode Island apparently doesn’t want to be left out of the cool kid’s table.
On Tuesday, Rhody announced a redesigned court at the Thomas M. Ryan Center with the new name The Alex and Ani Court.
“We could not be more thrilled to unveil The Alex and Ani Court at the Thomas M. Ryan Center,” said athletic director Thorr Bjorn. “To have a Rhode Island-based, Inc. 500 company as highly respected as Alex and Ani buy into the naming rights of our new basketball court speaks volumes to the direction and excitement that is surrounding our program. The installation of this state-of-the-art court is yet another necessary step toward building a championship-caliber basketball program at the University of Rhode Island.”
By my count, 15 schools have now revealed new courts this summer. I blame Oregon for this:
Whose is the best?
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)