Sep 11, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
Designing new basketball courts has become all the rage in college hoops this offseason, and Rhode Island apparently doesn’t want to be left out of the cool kid’s table.
On Tuesday, Rhody announced a redesigned court at the Thomas M. Ryan Center with the new name The Alex and Ani Court.
“We could not be more thrilled to unveil The Alex and Ani Court at the Thomas M. Ryan Center,” said athletic director Thorr Bjorn. “To have a Rhode Island-based, Inc. 500 company as highly respected as Alex and Ani buy into the naming rights of our new basketball court speaks volumes to the direction and excitement that is surrounding our program. The installation of this state-of-the-art court is yet another necessary step toward building a championship-caliber basketball program at the University of Rhode Island.”
By my count, 15 schools have now revealed new courts this summer. I blame Oregon for this:
Whose is the best?
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)