Sep 11, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
Designing new basketball courts has become all the rage in college hoops this offseason, and Rhode Island apparently doesn’t want to be left out of the cool kid’s table.
On Tuesday, Rhody announced a redesigned court at the Thomas M. Ryan Center with the new name The Alex and Ani Court.
“We could not be more thrilled to unveil The Alex and Ani Court at the Thomas M. Ryan Center,” said athletic director Thorr Bjorn. “To have a Rhode Island-based, Inc. 500 company as highly respected as Alex and Ani buy into the naming rights of our new basketball court speaks volumes to the direction and excitement that is surrounding our program. The installation of this state-of-the-art court is yet another necessary step toward building a championship-caliber basketball program at the University of Rhode Island.”
By my count, 15 schools have now revealed new courts this summer. I blame Oregon for this:
Whose is the best?
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (42)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)