Sep 12, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
While most college basketball fans are awaiting the decisions of 2014 guards Quentin Snider (expected to announce his decision at 7 p.m. EST) and Tyler Ulis (expected to announce Friday), another 2014 guard announced his decision Thursday afternoon. 6-5 guard Justin Bibbs, a native of Dayton, Ohio who attends Montverde Academy in Florida, announced his decision to attend Virginia Tech on Wednesday.
Bibbs is Virginia Tech’s first verbal commitment in the 2014 class and he’s an important one when you consider the fact that Virginia Tech head coach James Johnson doesn’t have much in the way of offensive firepower at the position.
The Hokies do add UNCW transfer Adam Smith to the rotation this season and that will help matters, as he averaged 13.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game in 2011-12. But outside of Smith the Hokies have a true freshman in Ben Emelogu and a junior in Will Johnston who averaged just two points per game last season. With ACC Player of the Year Erick Green out of eligibility, Virginia Tech will have to figure out how to account for his 25 points/game in a league that became tougher thanks to the arrival of Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse (not to mention the improvement of teams such as Boston College and Georgia Tech).
Bibbs has played with some of the best prospects in the country at Montverde, including Florida freshman point guard Kasey Hill, Kentucky freshman center Dakari Johnson and Cal verbal commit Ahmad Rorie. With Hill and Johnson now in college, the hope for Bibbs is that he has an even larger role in his senior campaign.
And if he takes advantage of the opportunity, that can only be seen as a positive for Virginia Tech.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)