Sep 12, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
While most college basketball fans are awaiting the decisions of 2014 guards Quentin Snider (expected to announce his decision at 7 p.m. EST) and Tyler Ulis (expected to announce Friday), another 2014 guard announced his decision Thursday afternoon. 6-5 guard Justin Bibbs, a native of Dayton, Ohio who attends Montverde Academy in Florida, announced his decision to attend Virginia Tech on Wednesday.
Bibbs is Virginia Tech’s first verbal commitment in the 2014 class and he’s an important one when you consider the fact that Virginia Tech head coach James Johnson doesn’t have much in the way of offensive firepower at the position.
The Hokies do add UNCW transfer Adam Smith to the rotation this season and that will help matters, as he averaged 13.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game in 2011-12. But outside of Smith the Hokies have a true freshman in Ben Emelogu and a junior in Will Johnston who averaged just two points per game last season. With ACC Player of the Year Erick Green out of eligibility, Virginia Tech will have to figure out how to account for his 25 points/game in a league that became tougher thanks to the arrival of Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse (not to mention the improvement of teams such as Boston College and Georgia Tech).
Bibbs has played with some of the best prospects in the country at Montverde, including Florida freshman point guard Kasey Hill, Kentucky freshman center Dakari Johnson and Cal verbal commit Ahmad Rorie. With Hill and Johnson now in college, the hope for Bibbs is that he has an even larger role in his senior campaign.
And if he takes advantage of the opportunity, that can only be seen as a positive for Virginia Tech.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)