Sep 12, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
Just over a week ago Wichita State freshman guard D.J. Bowles was rushed to the hospital after collapsing during a preseason practice. After being sent home five days later Bowles was then reportedly headed to the Mayo Clinic for another round of testing.
However, according to a report by Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com Bowles underwent surgery at the Clinic on Thursday. According to Nicole Auerbach of USA Today, the procedure was to install an internal defibrillator.
According to multiple reports prior to Thursday’s surgical procedure, doctors were still unsure as to what the cause of Bowles’ medical issue was. However, doctor did rule out hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during the first battery of tests that preceded his release from Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis on Sunday.
Bowles is one of five newcomers joining head coach Gregg Marshall’s program, which is looking to build upon their 30-win campaign (and Final Four appearance) in 2012-13.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)