Sep 12, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
Just over a week ago Wichita State freshman guard D.J. Bowles was rushed to the hospital after collapsing during a preseason practice. After being sent home five days later Bowles was then reportedly headed to the Mayo Clinic for another round of testing.
However, according to a report by Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com Bowles underwent surgery at the Clinic on Thursday. According to Nicole Auerbach of USA Today, the procedure was to install an internal defibrillator.
According to multiple reports prior to Thursday’s surgical procedure, doctors were still unsure as to what the cause of Bowles’ medical issue was. However, doctor did rule out hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during the first battery of tests that preceded his release from Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis on Sunday.
Bowles is one of five newcomers joining head coach Gregg Marshall’s program, which is looking to build upon their 30-win campaign (and Final Four appearance) in 2012-13.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)