Sep 12, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
Just over a week ago Wichita State freshman guard D.J. Bowles was rushed to the hospital after collapsing during a preseason practice. After being sent home five days later Bowles was then reportedly headed to the Mayo Clinic for another round of testing.
However, according to a report by Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com Bowles underwent surgery at the Clinic on Thursday. According to Nicole Auerbach of USA Today, the procedure was to install an internal defibrillator.
According to multiple reports prior to Thursday’s surgical procedure, doctors were still unsure as to what the cause of Bowles’ medical issue was. However, doctor did rule out hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during the first battery of tests that preceded his release from Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis on Sunday.
Bowles is one of five newcomers joining head coach Gregg Marshall’s program, which is looking to build upon their 30-win campaign (and Final Four appearance) in 2012-13.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0