Sep 12, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
Just over a week ago Wichita State freshman guard D.J. Bowles was rushed to the hospital after collapsing during a preseason practice. After being sent home five days later Bowles was then reportedly headed to the Mayo Clinic for another round of testing.
However, according to a report by Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com Bowles underwent surgery at the Clinic on Thursday. According to Nicole Auerbach of USA Today, the procedure was to install an internal defibrillator.
According to multiple reports prior to Thursday’s surgical procedure, doctors were still unsure as to what the cause of Bowles’ medical issue was. However, doctor did rule out hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during the first battery of tests that preceded his release from Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis on Sunday.
Bowles is one of five newcomers joining head coach Gregg Marshall’s program, which is looking to build upon their 30-win campaign (and Final Four appearance) in 2012-13.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)