Sep 12, 2013, 9:40 PM EST
Just over a week ago Wichita State freshman guard D.J. Bowles was rushed to the hospital after collapsing during a preseason practice. After being sent home five days later Bowles was then reportedly headed to the Mayo Clinic for another round of testing.
However, according to a report by Myron Medcalf of ESPN.com Bowles underwent surgery at the Clinic on Thursday. According to Nicole Auerbach of USA Today, the procedure was to install an internal defibrillator.
According to multiple reports prior to Thursday’s surgical procedure, doctors were still unsure as to what the cause of Bowles’ medical issue was. However, doctor did rule out hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during the first battery of tests that preceded his release from Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis on Sunday.
Bowles is one of five newcomers joining head coach Gregg Marshall’s program, which is looking to build upon their 30-win campaign (and Final Four appearance) in 2012-13.
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 0
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Congratulations to Dickie V on 35 years of broadcasting (VIDEO) (2)
- VCU’s half court scoring issues becoming a concern? (2)