Sep 13, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
With just three players taller than 6-6 who have eligibility past the 2013-14 season on the roster, the Dayton Flyers could use some additional size in its 2014 recruiting class. And that’s exactly what head coach Archie Miller has gained, as 6-11 center Steve McElvene announced his decision to verbally commit to the Atlantic 10 school.
McElvene played at New Haven High School in Indiana last year, helping lead his team to an 18-5 record. On a team that featured Notre Dame signee V.J. Beachem, McElvene made a name for himself as the season progressed and accounted for 39 points, 33 rebounds and ten blocked shots in two Indiana Class 4A regional games.
McElvene played with highly-touted prospects JaQuan Lyle (verbally committed to attend Louisville) and Trey Lyles (one of the top uncommitted players in the 2014 class) this summer with the Spiece Indy Heat program, averaging 9.3 points and 3.5 rebounds per game on the Nike EYBL circuit.
As McElvene enjoyed more success on the court, programs such as Kansas State, Pittsburgh and Purdue became even more interested in his services. But in the end the big man chose to commit to Dayton after taking an official visit to the school last weekend.
McElvene joins a front court that in 2014 will include Alex Gavrilovic, Jalen Robinson and Devon Scott, with Robinson (6.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg) being the most productive of the three in 2012-13. With 6-7 forward Devin Oliver (8.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg) entering his senior season the Flyers needed someone who can help them on the glass in 2014, and the addition of McElvene will help in this regard.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Michigan lands 2014 commitment from guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman (4)