Sep 13, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
With just three players taller than 6-6 who have eligibility past the 2013-14 season on the roster, the Dayton Flyers could use some additional size in its 2014 recruiting class. And that’s exactly what head coach Archie Miller has gained, as 6-11 center Steve McElvene announced his decision to verbally commit to the Atlantic 10 school.
McElvene played at New Haven High School in Indiana last year, helping lead his team to an 18-5 record. On a team that featured Notre Dame signee V.J. Beachem, McElvene made a name for himself as the season progressed and accounted for 39 points, 33 rebounds and ten blocked shots in two Indiana Class 4A regional games.
McElvene played with highly-touted prospects JaQuan Lyle (verbally committed to attend Louisville) and Trey Lyles (one of the top uncommitted players in the 2014 class) this summer with the Spiece Indy Heat program, averaging 9.3 points and 3.5 rebounds per game on the Nike EYBL circuit.
As McElvene enjoyed more success on the court, programs such as Kansas State, Pittsburgh and Purdue became even more interested in his services. But in the end the big man chose to commit to Dayton after taking an official visit to the school last weekend.
McElvene joins a front court that in 2014 will include Alex Gavrilovic, Jalen Robinson and Devon Scott, with Robinson (6.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg) being the most productive of the three in 2012-13. With 6-7 forward Devin Oliver (8.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg) entering his senior season the Flyers needed someone who can help them on the glass in 2014, and the addition of McElvene will help in this regard.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)