Sep 14, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
Michigan big man Mitch McGary surprised some, while assuring the Wolverines would be contenders again in the Big Ten this past April when he — along with fellow freshman Glenn Robinson III — elected to stay at school for their sophomore seasons.
McGary emerged as a top pro prospect when he had a breakout performance in the NCAA tournament, posting a double-double and helping Michigan land a spot in the title game against Louisville. Entering his sophomore campaign, McGary will likely be a preseason first-team All-American. The 6-foot-10 McGary is preparing for the season ahead, though it could be his last in Ann Arbor.
“At this point, I can’t really say,” McGary told Hannah Gordon of hercampus.com during a Q & A on Wednesday. “It’s [the NBA] in the back of my mind, for sure, but right now I’m just trying to focus on this season. Time will tell.”
Although he may leave campus following this year, he did say he intends to get his degree at some point.
“I definitely do,” McGary said. “Whether it’s in a couple years or further in the future.”
That last portion of that sentence stands out … “or further in the future.” It would appear that McGary is anticipating pushing back his academics rather than graduating with the rest of his Class of 2016. He passed on the NBA first round — potentially the lottery — last year, and it’d be more unexpected for him to turn down the pros once again, especially when he turns 22 less than three weeks before the 2014 NBA Draft.
McGary is currently projected as a lottery pick, 13th overall, by DraftExpress.com.
[h/t USA Today Sports]
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)