Sep 14, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
Michigan big man Mitch McGary surprised some, while assuring the Wolverines would be contenders again in the Big Ten this past April when he — along with fellow freshman Glenn Robinson III — elected to stay at school for their sophomore seasons.
McGary emerged as a top pro prospect when he had a breakout performance in the NCAA tournament, posting a double-double and helping Michigan land a spot in the title game against Louisville. Entering his sophomore campaign, McGary will likely be a preseason first-team All-American. The 6-foot-10 McGary is preparing for the season ahead, though it could be his last in Ann Arbor.
“At this point, I can’t really say,” McGary told Hannah Gordon of hercampus.com during a Q & A on Wednesday. “It’s [the NBA] in the back of my mind, for sure, but right now I’m just trying to focus on this season. Time will tell.”
Although he may leave campus following this year, he did say he intends to get his degree at some point.
“I definitely do,” McGary said. “Whether it’s in a couple years or further in the future.”
That last portion of that sentence stands out … “or further in the future.” It would appear that McGary is anticipating pushing back his academics rather than graduating with the rest of his Class of 2016. He passed on the NBA first round — potentially the lottery — last year, and it’d be more unexpected for him to turn down the pros once again, especially when he turns 22 less than three weeks before the 2014 NBA Draft.
McGary is currently projected as a lottery pick, 13th overall, by DraftExpress.com.
[h/t USA Today Sports]
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)