Sep 14, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Bucky the Badger is a common sight at Camp Randall Stadium these days, and soon enough we’ll be seeing him on the sidelines at the Kohl Center, rooting Bo Ryan’s troops on in their nearly decade-and-a-half streak of NCAA tournament appearances.
Where Bucky shouldn’t be, according to the Wisconsin State Journal, is hanging out at the state Capitol building in the early afternoon. Apparently, the Bucky that has showed up at political events, holding a sign that reads “Let Freedom Sing”, is not the real deal, and he’s not even a particularly effective cosplay imitator, at that.
From the State Journal’s report:
A person in a Bucky Badger imitation costume has made recent lunchtime visits to the Capitol for the Solidarity Singalong, but its “puffy features, odd coloring and sloppy sweater” give away that the Bucky is not the real deal, according to a UW-Madison press release.
UW-Madison is calling upon Wisconsinites to know their favorite badger.
“If you find yourself standing next to a fake Bucky, know that it is not a representative of UW-Madison,” the press release said. “Please do not treat it as you would the Buckingham you know and love.”
To add insult to injury, the ersatz badger is cutting into the legit action of a local business. The official Bucky costume is made by the Olympus Group of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The University is making moves to halt the sale of the unlicensed costumes.
Until then, remember this: you don’t need no stinking Badgers. Only the relatively odor-free, properly dressed Badgers will do. Bo knows the real thing when he sees it, and so should you.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 2
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (4)