Sep 14, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Bucky the Badger is a common sight at Camp Randall Stadium these days, and soon enough we’ll be seeing him on the sidelines at the Kohl Center, rooting Bo Ryan’s troops on in their nearly decade-and-a-half streak of NCAA tournament appearances.
Where Bucky shouldn’t be, according to the Wisconsin State Journal, is hanging out at the state Capitol building in the early afternoon. Apparently, the Bucky that has showed up at political events, holding a sign that reads “Let Freedom Sing”, is not the real deal, and he’s not even a particularly effective cosplay imitator, at that.
From the State Journal’s report:
A person in a Bucky Badger imitation costume has made recent lunchtime visits to the Capitol for the Solidarity Singalong, but its “puffy features, odd coloring and sloppy sweater” give away that the Bucky is not the real deal, according to a UW-Madison press release.
UW-Madison is calling upon Wisconsinites to know their favorite badger.
“If you find yourself standing next to a fake Bucky, know that it is not a representative of UW-Madison,” the press release said. “Please do not treat it as you would the Buckingham you know and love.”
To add insult to injury, the ersatz badger is cutting into the legit action of a local business. The official Bucky costume is made by the Olympus Group of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The University is making moves to halt the sale of the unlicensed costumes.
Until then, remember this: you don’t need no stinking Badgers. Only the relatively odor-free, properly dressed Badgers will do. Bo knows the real thing when he sees it, and so should you.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)