Sep 14, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
Bucky the Badger is a common sight at Camp Randall Stadium these days, and soon enough we’ll be seeing him on the sidelines at the Kohl Center, rooting Bo Ryan’s troops on in their nearly decade-and-a-half streak of NCAA tournament appearances.
Where Bucky shouldn’t be, according to the Wisconsin State Journal, is hanging out at the state Capitol building in the early afternoon. Apparently, the Bucky that has showed up at political events, holding a sign that reads “Let Freedom Sing”, is not the real deal, and he’s not even a particularly effective cosplay imitator, at that.
From the State Journal’s report:
A person in a Bucky Badger imitation costume has made recent lunchtime visits to the Capitol for the Solidarity Singalong, but its “puffy features, odd coloring and sloppy sweater” give away that the Bucky is not the real deal, according to a UW-Madison press release.
UW-Madison is calling upon Wisconsinites to know their favorite badger.
“If you find yourself standing next to a fake Bucky, know that it is not a representative of UW-Madison,” the press release said. “Please do not treat it as you would the Buckingham you know and love.”
To add insult to injury, the ersatz badger is cutting into the legit action of a local business. The official Bucky costume is made by the Olympus Group of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The University is making moves to halt the sale of the unlicensed costumes.
Until then, remember this: you don’t need no stinking Badgers. Only the relatively odor-free, properly dressed Badgers will do. Bo knows the real thing when he sees it, and so should you.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)