Sep 15, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
With college coaches in the portion of their recruiting calendar where they’re allowed to visit high schools throughout the country, this is an important time for many young players across the country. Those open gym sessions can be a game-changer of sorts, as a player who performs well could land himself a scholarship offer that otherwise would not have been available.
However those opportunities aren’t available to all, especially if the school in question has been deemed to be “non-scholastic” by the NCAA. According to Yahoo! Sports the NCAA sent a list to Division I programs across the country listing programs that have been given that label, with two such institutions being Huntington Prep (W. Va.) and Findlay Prep (Nev.).
The “non-scholastic” designation means that college coaches are prohibited from visiting those schools, and that can be an issue for some when considering the amount of talent that programs such as Huntington and Findlay Prep currently possess.
Highlighted in the NCAA directive was the following fromJamie Israel in its department of academic and membership affairs:
“A team that is affiliated with a scholastic institution, but not subject to the rules and regulations of a scholastic governing body would be considered a non-scholastic team for purposes of applying the evaluation legislation set forth in Bylaw 22.214.171.124.1-(a). … At this time, the AMA staff has been presented fact situations involving two teams, Findlay Prep and Huntington Prep, and has determined that based on the facts presented and the above mentioned legislation and interpretation, both of those teams would be considered non-scholastic teams …”
The hope is that this situation is remedied in short order, with the end result being that coaches will be able to visit these schools. And with highly regarded uncommitted players such as JaQuan Lyle (Huntington Prep), Kelly Oubre and Rashad Vaughn (both are at Findlay Prep) at these institutions it’s easy to figure out why college coaches would want this situation to be addressed quickly.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)