Sep 16, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
The season hasn’t started, but we’ve had another player announce his intentions to turn pro after the season.
“It’s more than likely that it will be time for Kyle to move on at the end of this college season,” he said.
Anderson is a slow-footed but extremely talented 6-foot-9 point forward. He averaged 9.7 points, 8.6 boards, 3.5 assists and 1.8 steals as a freshman, but he did much of it while playing off the ball and somewhat out of position. Anderson, who was a top three recruit in the Class of 2012, ended up returning to school for his sophomore season. He considered entering the draft, but he was a long way from being a lock to go in the first round.
“Kyle has made great strides in his mental approach to the game and his work ethic since being at UCLA,” Kyle Sr. told ESPN.com. “The major deficiencies in his overall game are his lack of strength, quickness and explosion, and inconsistent shooting. … We feel that both of which can be addressed more efficiently with more time and repetition.”
Where Anderson’s season gets really intriguing is that under new UCLA coach Steve Alford, he could end up being the Bruin’s point guard given the lack of a lead guard on their roster. Anderson is a talented creator, but with Larry Drew II shouldering the point guard load last year, it forced Anderson off the ball. He proved himself to be a better rebounder and playmaker defensively than some expected, but that’s not the strength of his game.
Anderson is currently projected as a late-second round pick by Draft Express. It will be interesting to see where he is slotted if he has a big year.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)