Sep 16, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
The season hasn’t started, but we’ve had another player announce his intentions to turn pro after the season.
“It’s more than likely that it will be time for Kyle to move on at the end of this college season,” he said.
Anderson is a slow-footed but extremely talented 6-foot-9 point forward. He averaged 9.7 points, 8.6 boards, 3.5 assists and 1.8 steals as a freshman, but he did much of it while playing off the ball and somewhat out of position. Anderson, who was a top three recruit in the Class of 2012, ended up returning to school for his sophomore season. He considered entering the draft, but he was a long way from being a lock to go in the first round.
“Kyle has made great strides in his mental approach to the game and his work ethic since being at UCLA,” Kyle Sr. told ESPN.com. “The major deficiencies in his overall game are his lack of strength, quickness and explosion, and inconsistent shooting. … We feel that both of which can be addressed more efficiently with more time and repetition.”
Where Anderson’s season gets really intriguing is that under new UCLA coach Steve Alford, he could end up being the Bruin’s point guard given the lack of a lead guard on their roster. Anderson is a talented creator, but with Larry Drew II shouldering the point guard load last year, it forced Anderson off the ball. He proved himself to be a better rebounder and playmaker defensively than some expected, but that’s not the strength of his game.
Anderson is currently projected as a late-second round pick by Draft Express. It will be interesting to see where he is slotted if he has a big year.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)