Sep 17, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
Central Florida is making the move to the American this season, but the Knights also have something to look forward to in 2015 with the arrival of its latest recruit, Oak Ridge High (Fla.) power forward Alex Owens.
The 6-foot-8 Owens committed to UCF on Tuesday, according to ESPN College Basketball Insider Jeff Goodman.
“I wanted to stay close to home and be near my family,” Owens told Goodman. “I really like coach (Donnie) Jones, their staff and how they are with the players. I just felt different about them than the other schools.”
This is an impressive commit for Central Florida. Owens is ranked as the No. 71 overall player in the Class of 2015 according to Rivals. Despite only entering his junior season, the Orlando, Fla. native held offers from Cincinnati, Florida, Florida State, Maryland, Miami, Missouri, N.C. State and Providence.
This summer, Owens played in the Nike EYBL with the eventual Peach Jam champion Each 1 Teach 1 (Fla.). During the Peach Jam in July, Owens saw an increase in his production. He averaged 9.0 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game. He played alongside Duke commit Grayson Allen, North Carolina bound Joel Berry and D’Angelo Russell, who is committed to Ohio State.
He also also averaged 11.8 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.0 blocks per game for USA South in the Nike Global Challenge. He ended the four-game showcase with back-to-back double doubles (14 points, 11 rebounds; 17 points, 10 rebounds) against USA Midwest and USA West.
Owens is the second commit UCF has received this summer. In August, Boone High (Fla.) point guard B.J. Taylor became the lone commit in its Class of 2014.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)