Sep 17, 2013, 6:56 PM EST
Devan Dumes, who played for Indiana from 2008-2010, was found not guilty on attempted murder chargers on Tuesday afternoon. He was also found not guilty on charges of attempted carjacking and stealing a gun, which was used during a shooting on Jan. 11.
“The state failed to prove its case on all charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” Israel Cruz, Dumes’ attorney told the Indianapolis Star following the verdict on Tuesday afternoon in Indianapolis. “I don’t think the jury believed the alleged statement of Keith Jones. I don’t believe the jury found it credible at all.”
Dumes was charged with shooting Keith Jones in the neck on Jan. 11 in an attempted carjacking. According to Cruz, Jones threatened Dumes, and wanted Dumes to deliver cocaine in order to pay off a debt of $225.
This incident came two days after he was charged with criminal recklessness and carrying a handgun without a license after allegedly firing shots into an Indianapolis home. Those charges were dimissed said Cruz. However, Dumes has recently faced legal problems again. A July 24 police stop found Dumes in possession of illegal drugs and an unlicensed firearm.
Dumes played two seasons for the Hoosiers, averaging 12.7 points per game as a junior.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)