Sep 17, 2013, 6:56 PM EDT
Devan Dumes, who played for Indiana from 2008-2010, was found not guilty on attempted murder chargers on Tuesday afternoon. He was also found not guilty on charges of attempted carjacking and stealing a gun, which was used during a shooting on Jan. 11.
“The state failed to prove its case on all charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” Israel Cruz, Dumes’ attorney told the Indianapolis Star following the verdict on Tuesday afternoon in Indianapolis. “I don’t think the jury believed the alleged statement of Keith Jones. I don’t believe the jury found it credible at all.”
Dumes was charged with shooting Keith Jones in the neck on Jan. 11 in an attempted carjacking. According to Cruz, Jones threatened Dumes, and wanted Dumes to deliver cocaine in order to pay off a debt of $225.
This incident came two days after he was charged with criminal recklessness and carrying a handgun without a license after allegedly firing shots into an Indianapolis home. Those charges were dimissed said Cruz. However, Dumes has recently faced legal problems again. A July 24 police stop found Dumes in possession of illegal drugs and an unlicensed firearm.
Dumes played two seasons for the Hoosiers, averaging 12.7 points per game as a junior.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)