Sep 17, 2013, 6:56 PM EDT
Devan Dumes, who played for Indiana from 2008-2010, was found not guilty on attempted murder chargers on Tuesday afternoon. He was also found not guilty on charges of attempted carjacking and stealing a gun, which was used during a shooting on Jan. 11.
“The state failed to prove its case on all charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” Israel Cruz, Dumes’ attorney told the Indianapolis Star following the verdict on Tuesday afternoon in Indianapolis. “I don’t think the jury believed the alleged statement of Keith Jones. I don’t believe the jury found it credible at all.”
Dumes was charged with shooting Keith Jones in the neck on Jan. 11 in an attempted carjacking. According to Cruz, Jones threatened Dumes, and wanted Dumes to deliver cocaine in order to pay off a debt of $225.
This incident came two days after he was charged with criminal recklessness and carrying a handgun without a license after allegedly firing shots into an Indianapolis home. Those charges were dimissed said Cruz. However, Dumes has recently faced legal problems again. A July 24 police stop found Dumes in possession of illegal drugs and an unlicensed firearm.
Dumes played two seasons for the Hoosiers, averaging 12.7 points per game as a junior.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)