Sep 17, 2013, 6:56 PM EDT
Devan Dumes, who played for Indiana from 2008-2010, was found not guilty on attempted murder chargers on Tuesday afternoon. He was also found not guilty on charges of attempted carjacking and stealing a gun, which was used during a shooting on Jan. 11.
“The state failed to prove its case on all charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” Israel Cruz, Dumes’ attorney told the Indianapolis Star following the verdict on Tuesday afternoon in Indianapolis. “I don’t think the jury believed the alleged statement of Keith Jones. I don’t believe the jury found it credible at all.”
Dumes was charged with shooting Keith Jones in the neck on Jan. 11 in an attempted carjacking. According to Cruz, Jones threatened Dumes, and wanted Dumes to deliver cocaine in order to pay off a debt of $225.
This incident came two days after he was charged with criminal recklessness and carrying a handgun without a license after allegedly firing shots into an Indianapolis home. Those charges were dimissed said Cruz. However, Dumes has recently faced legal problems again. A July 24 police stop found Dumes in possession of illegal drugs and an unlicensed firearm.
Dumes played two seasons for the Hoosiers, averaging 12.7 points per game as a junior.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)
- Two new regular season college hoops events headed to Vegas (1)