Sep 17, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Korie Lucious wrapped up his collegiate career at Iowa State, averaging 10.1 points and 5.6 assists for the Cyclones, who reached the third round of the NCAA tournament this past season.
His first three seasons were spent at Michigan State, where he entered East Lansing as a four-star commit for Tom Izzo. In Jan. 2011, Lucious was dismissed from the team under the oh-so-specific “violation of team rules.” Following an interview on Monday with Travis Singleton of BlackAthlete.net, Lucious explained his career in a Spartan uniform came to a close due to drugs.
“I was smoking I don’t want to tell a lot of people that but I was smoking a lot of weed at Michigan State,” Lucious said in a Q-and-A.” Thats the real reason I got kicked off the team and I let my mom, family and friends down.”
Lucious was part of a pair of Final Four teams, and if it weren’t for his heroics in the second round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament against Maryland, the Spartans wouldn’t have made a repeat appearance. Despite being part of two great teams, MSU and Izzo may not have been the right fit for Lucious.
“To be honest Michigan State was a great program, I’m not taking anything from Coach Izzo or the team but that wasn’t the place for me to be. “Coach Izzo playing for him it wasn’t the yelling or anything it was the fact he just didn’t respect my game. Coach Izzo used to always call me an And1 player, like even if I dribbled in between my legs and he would just yell at me and say ‘this isn’t And1 Streetball,'” Lucious described, as Izzo referenced him as a player in the popular And1 Mixtape Tours.
Lucious has signed with Rosa Radom of the Polish Basketball League.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)