Sep 17, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Korie Lucious wrapped up his collegiate career at Iowa State, averaging 10.1 points and 5.6 assists for the Cyclones, who reached the third round of the NCAA tournament this past season.
His first three seasons were spent at Michigan State, where he entered East Lansing as a four-star commit for Tom Izzo. In Jan. 2011, Lucious was dismissed from the team under the oh-so-specific “violation of team rules.” Following an interview on Monday with Travis Singleton of BlackAthlete.net, Lucious explained his career in a Spartan uniform came to a close due to drugs.
“I was smoking I don’t want to tell a lot of people that but I was smoking a lot of weed at Michigan State,” Lucious said in a Q-and-A.” Thats the real reason I got kicked off the team and I let my mom, family and friends down.”
Lucious was part of a pair of Final Four teams, and if it weren’t for his heroics in the second round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament against Maryland, the Spartans wouldn’t have made a repeat appearance. Despite being part of two great teams, MSU and Izzo may not have been the right fit for Lucious.
“To be honest Michigan State was a great program, I’m not taking anything from Coach Izzo or the team but that wasn’t the place for me to be. “Coach Izzo playing for him it wasn’t the yelling or anything it was the fact he just didn’t respect my game. Coach Izzo used to always call me an And1 player, like even if I dribbled in between my legs and he would just yell at me and say ‘this isn’t And1 Streetball,'” Lucious described, as Izzo referenced him as a player in the popular And1 Mixtape Tours.
Lucious has signed with Rosa Radom of the Polish Basketball League.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)