Sep 17, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Korie Lucious wrapped up his collegiate career at Iowa State, averaging 10.1 points and 5.6 assists for the Cyclones, who reached the third round of the NCAA tournament this past season.
His first three seasons were spent at Michigan State, where he entered East Lansing as a four-star commit for Tom Izzo. In Jan. 2011, Lucious was dismissed from the team under the oh-so-specific “violation of team rules.” Following an interview on Monday with Travis Singleton of BlackAthlete.net, Lucious explained his career in a Spartan uniform came to a close due to drugs.
“I was smoking I don’t want to tell a lot of people that but I was smoking a lot of weed at Michigan State,” Lucious said in a Q-and-A.” Thats the real reason I got kicked off the team and I let my mom, family and friends down.”
Lucious was part of a pair of Final Four teams, and if it weren’t for his heroics in the second round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament against Maryland, the Spartans wouldn’t have made a repeat appearance. Despite being part of two great teams, MSU and Izzo may not have been the right fit for Lucious.
“To be honest Michigan State was a great program, I’m not taking anything from Coach Izzo or the team but that wasn’t the place for me to be. “Coach Izzo playing for him it wasn’t the yelling or anything it was the fact he just didn’t respect my game. Coach Izzo used to always call me an And1 player, like even if I dribbled in between my legs and he would just yell at me and say ‘this isn’t And1 Streetball,'” Lucious described, as Izzo referenced him as a player in the popular And1 Mixtape Tours.
Lucious has signed with Rosa Radom of the Polish Basketball League.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)