Sep 17, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Tom Izzo spoke at the Monday Morning Quarterback Club down in Birmingham, AL, on Monday, where he did an impressive job of eloquently and intelligently speaking about some of the more controversial topics in college sports without saying much of note.
That’s what we like to call coach-speak.
What was interesting, however, was that Izzo admitted that, at times, he feels guilty for getting his $3 million salary while the players that help him earn it don’t cash in as much.
“Yeah, I have [felt guilty],” he said. “There was a time I said to my wife, ‘It’s almost ridiculous.’ But then there are the problems you have to deal with. I used to think I made too much. Now, I think I don’t make enough because the social media added so many significant problems. There’s a price to pay for being a coach. It usually affects your families, your kids, your health. I definitely think there’s double standards on that. We make more money.”
He’s got a point. Being a college basketball coach is not exactly a glorious lifestyle. The travel can only be defined as grueling. July may as well be wiped off the calendar. Road trips, night games and media responsibilities make missing a family dinner a common occurrence. Local celebrity makes going out to eat a tough thing to do.
They’re well-compensated, but that’s because it’s a difficult, stressful job.
That’s not the only topic that Izzo spoke on, either, as he chimed in on transfer rules and the fact that coaches can leave for any job at any time.
“Maybe that should be stricter, too, if you want the truth,” Izzo said. “I don’t move much so that’s easy for me to say. But I don’t think we can harp on one rule and not abide by the same one. … [But] if a coach leaves, I have a couple-million dollar buyout. There’s some penalty to pay.”
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)