Sep 17, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Texas A&M made some noise on the recruiting trail on Tuesday afternoon, as Billy Kennedy landed a commitment from Alex Robinson.
Robinson is a 6-foot-1 lefty point guard that ranks 58th in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He’s Texas A&M’s first recruit in the class, and just finished an official visit to College Station over the weekend. I guess he wasn’t too concerned about the loss to Alabama.
Robinson’s commitment is important for a couple of reasons. For starters, outside of Tyus Jones (who has been written off as a future Duke commit by just about everyone) and JaQuan Lyle (who just decommitted from Louisville), Robinson was the highest-rated point guard left in the country. With a relatively weak crop of point guards in the Class of 2015, he had become even more valuable.
A Texas native, Robinson was also one of A&M’s priority targets, and they landed him. That’s significant because Robinson, on Tuesday, became the first top 100 recruit to commit to the Aggies since Kennedy was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2011.
Robinson is a four-year player at the point. He’s a flashy passer, with some impressive athleticism and dexterity around the rim. It will be interesting to see how he continues to develop as a floor general, but the talent is definitely there.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)