Sep 17, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Texas A&M made some noise on the recruiting trail on Tuesday afternoon, as Billy Kennedy landed a commitment from Alex Robinson.
Robinson is a 6-foot-1 lefty point guard that ranks 58th in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He’s Texas A&M’s first recruit in the class, and just finished an official visit to College Station over the weekend. I guess he wasn’t too concerned about the loss to Alabama.
Robinson’s commitment is important for a couple of reasons. For starters, outside of Tyus Jones (who has been written off as a future Duke commit by just about everyone) and JaQuan Lyle (who just decommitted from Louisville), Robinson was the highest-rated point guard left in the country. With a relatively weak crop of point guards in the Class of 2015, he had become even more valuable.
A Texas native, Robinson was also one of A&M’s priority targets, and they landed him. That’s significant because Robinson, on Tuesday, became the first top 100 recruit to commit to the Aggies since Kennedy was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2011.
Robinson is a four-year player at the point. He’s a flashy passer, with some impressive athleticism and dexterity around the rim. It will be interesting to see how he continues to develop as a floor general, but the talent is definitely there.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)