Sep 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas small forward Andrew Wiggins will be the focal point of this year’s college basketball season. When Wiggins committed to Kansas in May, he took a team slated to be in the middle of the preseason top-25 to an instant title contender. He also been projected as the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
Even before he had made a college choice, he had the attention of basketball junkies everywhere, just ask Grant Traylor of the Herald-Dispatch, who saw his Twitter followers rise to the tens of thousands eager to see which of the four schools he’d pick.
With less than two months before his first collegiate game, OnPoint Basketball put together a five-minute video, documenting the rise in the world’s biggest basketball prospect. The video recaps his playing days as a kid at the Dufferin Clark Community Centre in Toronto, sitting on the bench — along with New Mexico State center Tanveer Bhullar — as a sixth grade, to his success at the Vaughan Secondary School (Ont.) and finally the transfer to Huntington Prep (W.Va.).
The video begins in 2011, after Vaughan had captured a championship. Drew Ebanks interviewed Wiggins’ parents, Mitchell and Marieta.
“I’m very proud of Andrew, but this is just the beginning of something exciting for him,” Wiggins’ mother said in 2011.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)