Sep 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Kansas small forward Andrew Wiggins will be the focal point of this year’s college basketball season. When Wiggins committed to Kansas in May, he took a team slated to be in the middle of the preseason top-25 to an instant title contender. He also been projected as the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
Even before he had made a college choice, he had the attention of basketball junkies everywhere, just ask Grant Traylor of the Herald-Dispatch, who saw his Twitter followers rise to the tens of thousands eager to see which of the four schools he’d pick.
With less than two months before his first collegiate game, OnPoint Basketball put together a five-minute video, documenting the rise in the world’s biggest basketball prospect. The video recaps his playing days as a kid at the Dufferin Clark Community Centre in Toronto, sitting on the bench — along with New Mexico State center Tanveer Bhullar — as a sixth grade, to his success at the Vaughan Secondary School (Ont.) and finally the transfer to Huntington Prep (W.Va.).
The video begins in 2011, after Vaughan had captured a championship. Drew Ebanks interviewed Wiggins’ parents, Mitchell and Marieta.
“I’m very proud of Andrew, but this is just the beginning of something exciting for him,” Wiggins’ mother said in 2011.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)