Sep 18, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Kansas small forward Andrew Wiggins will be the focal point of this year’s college basketball season. When Wiggins committed to Kansas in May, he took a team slated to be in the middle of the preseason top-25 to an instant title contender. He also been projected as the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
Even before he had made a college choice, he had the attention of basketball junkies everywhere, just ask Grant Traylor of the Herald-Dispatch, who saw his Twitter followers rise to the tens of thousands eager to see which of the four schools he’d pick.
With less than two months before his first collegiate game, OnPoint Basketball put together a five-minute video, documenting the rise in the world’s biggest basketball prospect. The video recaps his playing days as a kid at the Dufferin Clark Community Centre in Toronto, sitting on the bench — along with New Mexico State center Tanveer Bhullar — as a sixth grade, to his success at the Vaughan Secondary School (Ont.) and finally the transfer to Huntington Prep (W.Va.).
The video begins in 2011, after Vaughan had captured a championship. Drew Ebanks interviewed Wiggins’ parents, Mitchell and Marieta.
“I’m very proud of Andrew, but this is just the beginning of something exciting for him,” Wiggins’ mother said in 2011.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 3
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)