Sep 18, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
The NCAA issued yet another stall tactic in the now-four year old anti-trust lawsuit that was filed by Ed O’Bannon in 2009 regarding the use of NCAA athletes’ names and likenesses in video games. USA Today reported the news late Tuesday night.
Both the NCAA and CLC (Collegiate Licensing Company, LLC), co-defendants in O’Bannon’s lawsuit, filed motions for dismissal after the two entities and their third co-defendant, Electronic Arts, asked a federal court judge if it would be possible. EA filed their motion for dismissal last week.
The filings weren’t much more than a formality once U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken ruled that motions for dismissal would be allowed, and it should be a while before we get a ruling. The case, which began in 2009, is scheduled to head to trial in June of 2014.
To bring you up to speed on what’s happening with the case, the plaintiffs — there are a number of named former and current athletes participating, but O’Bannon, a former Player of the Year for UCLA and a first round NBA draft pick, is the public face — are trying to get the case certified as a class action lawsuit. If they succeed, it would allow thousands of current and former athletes to participate, which would make the money at stake for the NCAA skyrocket.
Last month, the NCAA asked for a 15 month delay in the case.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)