Sep 19, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
The rain may have stopped out in Colorado, but the full extent of the damage from last week’s brutal flooding is still being determined.
The good news?
The number of people unaccounted for is as low as 200, as electricity has been restored to some regions and rescuers have reached some stranded victims.
The bad news?
At least six people were killed, a number that still could end up rising. The damage done by the flooding is expected to reach $2 billion, with $900 million of that being residential housing. It’s one of the worst natural disasters in the history of the region.
Last week, we wrote about how some athletes at Colorado University were chipping in to help some of the folks that were affected by this disaster. On Thursday, Air Force put out a press release announcing a 30 for $30,000 plan to help those affected by the flooding in Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak Region.
For every season ticket that is purchased between September 30th and October 30th, Air Force head coach Dave Pilipovich will donate $10 to the Pikes Peak United Way, which is one of a few charities that guarantees 100% of donations will go towards disaster relief. In addition to that, Air Force will have a season long fundraiser in which fans can pledge to donate a certain dollar amount for every three-pointer that AFA makes this season.
Click here for more information on how to contribute to the fundraising efforts.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)