Sep 19, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
Midnight Madness events have become about much more than just the basketball.
It’s an event, and when it’s done right, it includes everything from a dunk contest to a dance-off to a concert.
Some of the biggest name programs have brought in well-known performers in recent years. Georgetown’s had Wale and Doug E. Fresh. St John’s had Chiddy Bang. Syracuse had Meek Mill. Memphis would have brought in Rick Ross if he didn’t have a seizure. Drake performed at Kentucky.
The list goes on and on and on.
Auburn is now getting in on the festivities, as it has been reported that the Tigers will not only be bringing in Ludacris to perform at their Jungle Jam, but the school will also be bringing in Mike Epps to MC the event.
“We saw those schools doing that and wanted to do something at Auburn,” associate AD of sales and marketing Jon Sirico told The Sporting News. “We’re not historically a big basketball program but we’re trying to change the culture here, trying to create some buzz for the program to take it to the next level.”
“I think the players are excited. They feel like there’s a cool buzz around the program and people are kind of excited and looking forward to the event.”
Midnight Madness is an important recruiting tool. It’s a chance for the program to bring in recruits and let them experience what the atmosphere can be like. Auburn hasn’t exactly filled their arena in recent years, but that should change with Ludacris and Epps coming to town.
At the very least, it will be one heckuva party. I’d be excited if I went to Auburn.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)