Sep 19, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Whether it’s for the physical conditioning or the teamwork exercises, more college basketball teams have made use of boot camps in recent years. The latest program to jump on board is Missouri, which trained with the Missouri National Guard with an eye towards establishing team leaders after their starting point guard (Phil Pressey) left school for the NBA.
Head coach Frank Haith had a couple players in mind when thinking about possible team leaders, as noted in a story written by Dana O’Neil of ESPN.com. But there was an issue: the three players (Jabari Brown, Jordan Clarkson and Earnest Ross) all began their collegiate careers at different schools, with Clarkson sitting out the entire 2012-13 campaign after transferring in from Tulsa.
Ross and Brown played for the Tigers for the first time last season, after transferring from Auburn and Oregon, respectively. Clarkson, meantime, sat out a year ago after leaving Tulsa.
So Haith asked [Missouri National Guard Capt. Brian] Hatcher, who had done a similar program with the football team, to devise an overnight schedule that would be fun for the players but would also challenge those three to take over.
Capt. Hatcher made those three players group leaders, with each of the three groups being required to complete assigned tasks like hauling packs that weighed in excess of 50 pounds and carrying 20-pound poles before spending some time at the firing range. After a good night’s sleep the Tigers were on their way back to Columbia.
Such exercises are good because they essentially require leaders to emerge while also forcing the entire group to work together towards a common goal. With the three possible options for Missouri at the point guard position (Clarkson and freshmen Wes Clark and Shane Rector) having yet to play a game in a Missouri uniform, the Tigers may need to find some unconventional solutions during the regular season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)