Sep 19, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
On Thursday morning, the NCAA sent out a release formally announcing that the bidding process for the 2017-2020 Final Fours has begun.
Here’s the timeline for the selection process, which takes over a year:
- October 11th: Cities that want to make a bid on a Final Four must declare their intent to.
- November 15th: A draft budget, hotel rates and confirmation of adherence to the NCAA’s bid specifications must be submitted.
- January 2014: After visiting each site, the committee will announce finalists.
- May 2014: The completed bids by the finalists are due.
- November 2014: The committee will spend the summer reviewing those bids and visiting the cities before finally coming to a decision.
Perhaps the most interesting note is that the city must have a venue that holds 60,000 people, which essentially guarantees that the Final Four will be played in domed football stadiums through at least 2020. There was talk, at one point, of moving the Final Four into an NBA arena, which hasn’t been done since 1996.
The past three Final Fours have been held in Houston, New Orleans and Atlanta, with Dallas hosting this season and Indianapolis hosting in 2015 before heading back to Houston in 2016.
The best locations for Final Fours are places where both the stadium and more than a few bars and restaurants are located within walking distance of the hotel. Keeping the crowds in one section of the city while having enough places that it’s possible to get something to eat and a beer without waiting for two hours makes for a great experience. Most Final Four vets will tell you that Indianapolis and New Orleans are the best cities to host, with San Antonio coming in third.
Jul 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Miles Bridges is one of the better scorers in the 2016 class.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
The US is taking on the hosts in the semifinals, with the winner getting Croatia on Sunday.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Four players from 2015 NCAA tournament programs are trying out for the Canadian national team.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)