Sep 20, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
After many Indiana fans lamented the fact that their program had yet to land a recruit in the 2014 class, the Hoosier faithful can breathe a little easier.
6-foot-3 four-star guard Robert Johnson verbally committed to attend the Big Ten school on Friday afternoon, announcing his decision during a press conference at Benedictine College Prep in Virginia. Also in the running for Johnson’s services were North Carolina, Virginia and Florida State, with the Tar Heels and Cavaliers receiving the majority of the attention from those who closely follow recruiting.
But Johnson kept things close to the vest throughout his recruitment, and his decision to attend Indiana is a big one considering their recent luck on the recruiting trail. Indiana had already lost two verbal commitments in the 2014 class in shooting guard James Blackmon Jr. and power forward Trey Lyles, so landing Johnson certainly helps in this regard.
Johnson has the ability to play either guard position, and his addition to the program will help in 2014 as the Hoosiers will lose both Arizona State transfer Evan Gordon (10.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg at ASU last season) and Will Sheehey (9.5, 3.5) at the conclusion of the 2013-14 campaign. Playing with the Boo Williams AAU program this past spring/summer, Johnson averaged 16.5 points and 4.8 rebounds per game during NIke EYBL play. His ability to both get to the basket off the dribble and knock down perimeter shots made Johnson a consensus Top 100 prospect.
On the perimeter Indiana should have point guard Yogi Ferrell, shooting guard Stanford Robinson and wing Troy Williams to go along with Johnson next year. Here are a few clips of Johnson in action at the NBPA Top 100 Camp earlier this summer.
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)