Sep 20, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
With four starters back from a team that finished the 2012-13 season with a 16-15 record (6-12 ACC), the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets are expected to be an improved team this year. One of the key players for head coach Brian Gregory is sophomore guard Chris Bolden, who averaged 7.3 points per game as a freshman.
Unfortunately for Bolden his season (game-wise, at least) will begin a little later than his teammates, as the school announced on Friday that he’s been suspended for the Yellow Jackets’ first three games due to a violation of team rules.
“When a violation of our team rules occurs, our intention is always to deal with it firmly and appropriately,” Gregory said in the release announcing the suspension. “We expect the young men in our program to meet certain standards, and there has to be accountability when those standards are not met.”
Bolden will miss the team’s November 1 exhibition game and then regular season contests against Presbyterian (November 8), Delaware State (November 11) and in-state rival Georgia (November 15). Of those three contests only the game against Georgia is on the road, with the Bulldogs looking to avenge their 62-54 loss to the Yellow Jackets in last season’s meeting. Bolden will see his first action of the season on November 20 when Georgia Tech hosts Dayton, Gregory’s former employer.
Youth was a major factor in the Yellow Jackets’ struggles in ACC play last season, and with players such as Bolden, fellow guard Marcus Georges-Hunt and big man Robert Carter having a season under their belts the hope is that the program will be able to improve its standing within the conference. But that will be easier said than done, thanks to the combination of other programs in a similar position getting better (Boston College and Maryland come to mind) and three former Big East schools joining the conference (Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Syracuse).
Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
All three programs made Davis a focal point in Las Vegas last weekend.
Jul 29, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Notes on Vance Jackson, Brendan Bailey and Javonte Smart included.
Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
I’m OK with this becoming a thing all August.
Jul 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tyson Waterman is the latest victim in the fallout from the Southern Miss scandal.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
That’s now two of Kentucky’s elite freshmen with concerns looming.
Jul 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Bruce Pearl was fired by Tennessee for lying about a barbecue.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
See which schools are still in play for one of the top rising juniors
Jul 29, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT
Suhr was on staff with the ‘Bad Boys’.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 1
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)