Sep 21, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
The hype over Arizona’s upcoming season is warranted, but the Cal Bears won’t surrender the Pac-12 without a fight this season.
Things looked bad a few weeks ago, when Cal’s senior point guard Justin Cobbs went down with a foot injury, but Cobbs spoke with writer Jeff Faraudo of the Bear Talk blog and declared himself on track to participate in practice, and play in the Bears’ Nov. 8 opener against Coppin State.
“I feel really good about it. I’m not worried,” Cobbs told Faraudo. “Just stay healthy and stay focused. I should be back 100 percent.”
Cobbs had a screw inserted in the metatarsal bone in his right foot. Doctors have told him his foot will be stronger after the healing process is complete. The senior guard said he’d been running on a treadmill without any pain recently.
Cobbs has found perspective on his own recovery by comparing his situation to that of teammate Ricky Kreklow, who suffered a more extensive fracture in the same area of the foot and had to sit out all of last season. Cobbs is excited to get back on the court with Kreklow this season.
Kreklow, penciled in as a starter before last season, also is doing well, Cobbs said.
“People are going to finally see Ricky Kreklow for the type of player he is because he’s not going to have to worry about that foot,” Cobbs said. “He’s Jorge (Gutierrez) with a little jumper.”
Gutierrez, who won Pac-12 Player of the Year honors two seasons ago, gave the Bears a high-energy defender.
“Ricky’s very active. He loves physicality, diving on the floor, getting under people’s skin on defense,” Cobbs said. “That’s what we need.”
With Kreklow’s defensive prowess in reserve, and Cobbs and Jabari Bird forming what may be the Pac-12’s most exciting backcourt, don’t sleep on the Bears this season.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4