Sep 21, 2013, 12:40 PM EST
DePaul’s new basketball arena in the city of Chicago appears to have a design going forward, according to a report Saturday morning from the Chicago Tribune.
The Tribune released seven photos of artist rendered designs from the architecture firm of Pelli Clarke Pelli and the new design is expected to be recommended on Monday to the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority.
More from the Tribune:
An arena adjacent to McCormick Place planned to host DePaul basketball as well as convention assemblies is a step closer to reality. A design by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects of New Haven, Conn., is expected to be recommended to the board of the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority on Monday.To ease neighbors’ fears of an unsightly, concrete hulk, the design is low to the ground and bathed in glass. The $173 million, 10,000-seat arena is projected to open in 2016, Tribune reporter Kathy Bergen writes.
The new arena in the South Loop of Chicago would give DePaul basketball a much needed change of scenery after calling the Allstate Arena in suburban Rosemont, Illinois home since 1980.
The undesirable location and older facilities of the Allstate Arena are in dire need of an upgrade as DePaul moves forward and the unique design of their own basketball arena located in the city of Chicago could give the program a shot in the arm with local fans and the hotbed of high school basketball talent in the Chicagoland area.
More artist rendered photos of the potential arena designs can be viewed on the Chicago Tribune’s website.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)