Sep 21, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
Hofstra hasn’t made much noise on the court since Charles Jenkins graduated in 2011. With former Niagara head man Joe Mihalich hoping to kick off a new era for the frequent CAA also-rans, something has to change, and fast. The Pride are starting with their uniforms.
From the front, the new Nike uniforms don’t look too terribly different from the old Hofstra image, but I do like the piping down the side of the shorts, which resembles a tie my father would have worn in the 1970s.
Modeling credits from the Hofstra press release:
As part of the unveiling of the uniforms, four men’s basketball student-athletes showcased the jerseys in a photo gallery. Donning the exciting new gold uniform is junior forward Moussa Kone, while graduate guard Zeke Upshaw is in white, graduate guard Dion Nesmith is in blue and junior guard Juan’ya Green is pictured in the reversible blue and gold practice gear.
As you can tell from the recurrence of the word “graduate” in that snippet, Mihalich will start his tenure at Hofstra with some decent experience to draw on. With just four holdovers from the Mo Cassara era, the Pride have brought in a number of transfers from other programs to fill out a roster that achieved very little last year, finishing 7-25.
If that recipe sounds familiar, it should. Transfers helped another CAA team – the Towson Tigers – engineer the best one-year turnaround in college basketball history last season. Can Hofstra pull off a similar feat?
For the sake of long-suffering Defiantly Dutch, I can only hope so.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)