Sep 22, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
Yesterday, it was reported that former Villanova associate head coach Billy Lange would be leaving the program to accept a position with the Philadelphia 76ers as the assistant of player development. With practices set to begin in less than a week, head coach Jay Wright is forced to act quickly in filling the coaching void and, according to Jon Rothstein, he may bring a familiar face back to the program in Kyle Neptune.
Neptune, a 2007 graduate of Lehigh, was the video coordinator at Villanova from 2008-10.
Jay Wright is targeting Hofstra's Kyle Neptune to replace Billy Lange, per a source. Neptune worked at Villanova from 2008 to 2010.—
Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) September 22, 2013
Obviously, it is unrealistic to expect and think that Neptune would step into a similar role that Lange carried as associate head coach, but it is possible that Wright would promote from within and Neptune becomes the third assistant on the staff. Baker Dunleavy is now the most senior assistant having been on Wright’s staff since 2009; he was promoted from the Director of Basketball Operations to assistant coach last season. Dunleavy is the brother of Mike Dunleavy Jr. and son of Mike Dunleavy Sr., who was the head coach for four NBA franchises, most recently the Los Angeles Clippers.
After leaving Villanova, Neptune accepted an assistant coaching job with Niagara, and recently followed former Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich to Hofstra where he is currently an assistant coach. After taking the job at Niagara, Wright said of Neptune’s move: “Kyle was a valued member of our staff at Villanova. He is bright, hard-working and passionate about coaching. We will miss him, but we are proud of his development.”
If not Neptune, expect Wright to make a decision soon on who will fill the coaching vacancy.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)