Sep 22, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Yesterday, it was reported that former Villanova associate head coach Billy Lange would be leaving the program to accept a position with the Philadelphia 76ers as the assistant of player development. With practices set to begin in less than a week, head coach Jay Wright is forced to act quickly in filling the coaching void and, according to Jon Rothstein, he may bring a familiar face back to the program in Kyle Neptune.
Neptune, a 2007 graduate of Lehigh, was the video coordinator at Villanova from 2008-10.
Obviously, it is unrealistic to expect and think that Neptune would step into a similar role that Lange carried as associate head coach, but it is possible that Wright would promote from within and Neptune becomes the third assistant on the staff. Baker Dunleavy is now the most senior assistant having been on Wright’s staff since 2009; he was promoted from the Director of Basketball Operations to assistant coach last season. Dunleavy is the brother of Mike Dunleavy Jr. and son of Mike Dunleavy Sr., who was the head coach for four NBA franchises, most recently the Los Angeles Clippers.
After leaving Villanova, Neptune accepted an assistant coaching job with Niagara, and recently followed former Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich to Hofstra where he is currently an assistant coach. After taking the job at Niagara, Wright said of Neptune’s move: “Kyle was a valued member of our staff at Villanova. He is bright, hard-working and passionate about coaching. We will miss him, but we are proud of his development.”
If not Neptune, expect Wright to make a decision soon on who will fill the coaching vacancy.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)