Sep 22, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Yesterday, it was reported that former Villanova associate head coach Billy Lange would be leaving the program to accept a position with the Philadelphia 76ers as the assistant of player development. With practices set to begin in less than a week, head coach Jay Wright is forced to act quickly in filling the coaching void and, according to Jon Rothstein, he may bring a familiar face back to the program in Kyle Neptune.
Neptune, a 2007 graduate of Lehigh, was the video coordinator at Villanova from 2008-10.
Obviously, it is unrealistic to expect and think that Neptune would step into a similar role that Lange carried as associate head coach, but it is possible that Wright would promote from within and Neptune becomes the third assistant on the staff. Baker Dunleavy is now the most senior assistant having been on Wright’s staff since 2009; he was promoted from the Director of Basketball Operations to assistant coach last season. Dunleavy is the brother of Mike Dunleavy Jr. and son of Mike Dunleavy Sr., who was the head coach for four NBA franchises, most recently the Los Angeles Clippers.
After leaving Villanova, Neptune accepted an assistant coaching job with Niagara, and recently followed former Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich to Hofstra where he is currently an assistant coach. After taking the job at Niagara, Wright said of Neptune’s move: “Kyle was a valued member of our staff at Villanova. He is bright, hard-working and passionate about coaching. We will miss him, but we are proud of his development.”
If not Neptune, expect Wright to make a decision soon on who will fill the coaching vacancy.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)