Sep 22, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
There may not be another Division 1 school that has upgraded their entire athletic program as successfully and quickly as Stony Brook. A Division 3 school in all sports up until 1994 when they officially made the transition to Division 1, Stony Brook began offering athletic scholarships in a range of sports in 1999. It took several years, but the Seawolves have made tremendous strides.
Basketball has reached postseason play three times in the past four years under Steve Pikiell, and have been ever so close to the NCAA Tournament.
Football, which began offering scholarships in 2006, achieved national notoriety last season after defeating Army — an FBS program — and reaching the FCS playoffs finishing with a final ranking of #11 in the Sports Network poll.
Baseball orchestrated a memorable run in the 2012 College World Series as they reached Omaha knocking off programs such as Miami (FL) and LSU in the process.
They have a tremendous athletic director in Jim Fiore, and the school has made an institutional decision to use athletics as a vehicle to elevate Stony Brook on a national level. An upgrade to their basketball facilities were inevitable and their new arena is slated to be ready for the beginning of the 2014 season.
Ryan Restivo of Big Apple Buckets had an opportunity to get a sneak peak of the progression of the Stony Brook arena, which will cost $21.1 million when all is said and done. The capacity of the arena will be roughly 4,200.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)