Sep 23, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
Sometimes it’s hard to remember which teams switched over to new leagues. But while we’re finally wrapping our minds around the conference alignment changes, you can sometimes forget that teams are also recruiting for the new league they’re entering.
Creighton — with its move from the Missouri Valley Conference to the Big East — is facing the challenge of previously recruiting at a mid-major level and switching to a high-major level and the Bluejays are off to a solid start with Monday’s commitment of 2014 forward Leon Gilmore.
The commitment of Gilmore, as first reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com, is significant for the Bluejays because they’re getting a 6’7″ forward that had other high-major scholarship offers and it helps legitimize them with other high-major targets they’re recruiting.
A forward Manvel High School in Missouri City, Texas, Gilmore played for the respected Houston Hoops AAU program in the EYBL and averaged 8.1 points and 3.6 rebounds in 21 minutes of play during the EYBL as he played alongside five-star forwards like Justice Winslow, Kelly Oubre and North Carolina commit Justin Jackson. Gilmore was rated as the No. 121 prospect in the Rivals 2014 national class.
For the Bluejays to land a high-major commitment from a player that had in-state high-major scholarship offers from schools like Texas Tech and Houston means that Creighton is doing something correct on the recruiting trail as they transition to the Big East.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)