Sep 24, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Fran McCaffery got the Hawkeyes in the top four for Marian Catholic (Ill.) point guard Tyler Ulis, only to see him commit to Kentucky earlier this month. Two weeks later, Iowa got its first commit in the Class of 2014 in Hamilton High (Wisc.) shooting guard Brady Ellingson.
The 6-foot-3 Ellingson announced his decision on Tuesday evening via Twitter:
Blessed to say that I’m Officially committed to the University of Iowa! #GoHawkeyes 🏀
— Brady Ellingson (@B_Ellingson22) September 24, 2013
Ellingson had offers from Dayton, Drake, Missouri, South Dakota State among others, but had cut his list to three options. He picked Iowa over Oakland and San Diego. Iowa is getting a knockdown 3-point shooter in the fall of 2014, something the Hawkeyes struggled doing in 2012-2013. Iowa shot 30.5 percent this past season, but in its Class of 2013 added shooter Peter Jok, a 6-foot-6 small forward.
The first Hawkeye commit in 2014 is a three-star recruit according to Rivals.
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)