Sep 24, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Fran McCaffery got the Hawkeyes in the top four for Marian Catholic (Ill.) point guard Tyler Ulis, only to see him commit to Kentucky earlier this month. Two weeks later, Iowa got its first commit in the Class of 2014 in Hamilton High (Wisc.) shooting guard Brady Ellingson.
The 6-foot-3 Ellingson announced his decision on Tuesday evening via Twitter:
Blessed to say that I’m Officially committed to the University of Iowa! #GoHawkeyes 🏀
— Brady Ellingson (@B_Ellingson22) September 24, 2013
Ellingson had offers from Dayton, Drake, Missouri, South Dakota State among others, but had cut his list to three options. He picked Iowa over Oakland and San Diego. Iowa is getting a knockdown 3-point shooter in the fall of 2014, something the Hawkeyes struggled doing in 2012-2013. Iowa shot 30.5 percent this past season, but in its Class of 2013 added shooter Peter Jok, a 6-foot-6 small forward.
The first Hawkeye commit in 2014 is a three-star recruit according to Rivals.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Ron Baker was the best college player for Team USA at Pan-Am Games (2)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)