Sep 24, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Fran McCaffery got the Hawkeyes in the top four for Marian Catholic (Ill.) point guard Tyler Ulis, only to see him commit to Kentucky earlier this month. Two weeks later, Iowa got its first commit in the Class of 2014 in Hamilton High (Wisc.) shooting guard Brady Ellingson.
The 6-foot-3 Ellingson announced his decision on Tuesday evening via Twitter:
Blessed to say that I’m Officially committed to the University of Iowa! #GoHawkeyes 🏀
— Brady Ellingson (@B_Ellingson22) September 24, 2013
Ellingson had offers from Dayton, Drake, Missouri, South Dakota State among others, but had cut his list to three options. He picked Iowa over Oakland and San Diego. Iowa is getting a knockdown 3-point shooter in the fall of 2014, something the Hawkeyes struggled doing in 2012-2013. Iowa shot 30.5 percent this past season, but in its Class of 2013 added shooter Peter Jok, a 6-foot-6 small forward.
The first Hawkeye commit in 2014 is a three-star recruit according to Rivals.
- The Showdown Saturday Recap: Horace Spencer’s big summer continues 0
- adidas Unrivaled Camp Day 3 Recap: Jaylen Brown/Brandon Ingram II was special, Kobi Simmons, Deng Adel have strong days 0
- Senior guard Delon Wright, Utah aim to end NCAA tournament drought 0
- Arizona-commit Justin Simon may not be a PG, but that may not matter 1
- USA Basketball experience motivates five-star big man Chase Jeter 0
- adidas Unrivaled Camp Day 2: Chase Jeter outplays Carlton Bragg in a battle of five-star big men 0
- Five-star wing Brandon Ingram elevates his play during July 0
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)
- Report: Naadir Tharpe to turn pro (3)
- Class of 2016 No. 1 prospect Josh Jackson transferring from Detroit to California for next season (3)