Sep 24, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Fran McCaffery got the Hawkeyes in the top four for Marian Catholic (Ill.) point guard Tyler Ulis, only to see him commit to Kentucky earlier this month. Two weeks later, Iowa got its first commit in the Class of 2014 in Hamilton High (Wisc.) shooting guard Brady Ellingson.
The 6-foot-3 Ellingson announced his decision on Tuesday evening via Twitter:
Blessed to say that I’m Officially committed to the University of Iowa! #GoHawkeyes 🏀
— Brady Ellingson (@B_Ellingson22) September 24, 2013
Ellingson had offers from Dayton, Drake, Missouri, South Dakota State among others, but had cut his list to three options. He picked Iowa over Oakland and San Diego. Iowa is getting a knockdown 3-point shooter in the fall of 2014, something the Hawkeyes struggled doing in 2012-2013. Iowa shot 30.5 percent this past season, but in its Class of 2013 added shooter Peter Jok, a 6-foot-6 small forward.
The first Hawkeye commit in 2014 is a three-star recruit according to Rivals.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)