Sep 24, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Keith Dambrot had arguably his best season as a head coach in 2012-2013, as he led Akron to a 26-6 record, a division title, a trip to the NCAA tournament and, for the first time in school history, a spot in the top 25.
Akron rewarded Dambrot with a one-year contract extension, meaning that he will continue to have as much job security as any coach in the country. Dambrot is now under contract through the 2022-2023 season.
“There’s few coaches lucky enough to have the opportunity to coach at a university they played for, where their mother was a professor and where their children attend school,” Dambrot said in a statement. “The progress we have made as a program and the commitment from The University and the community make this one of the premier jobs in the nation. I want to thank Dr. Proenza, the Board of Trustees and Tom for all they have done for us.”
Dambrot is 210-94 overall and 107-41 in the MAC during his tenure. He’s led the Zips to at least 22 wins the past six seasons. Only five other schools – Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State and Pittsburgh — can make that claim. That’s impressive company.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)