Sep 24, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Keith Dambrot had arguably his best season as a head coach in 2012-2013, as he led Akron to a 26-6 record, a division title, a trip to the NCAA tournament and, for the first time in school history, a spot in the top 25.
Akron rewarded Dambrot with a one-year contract extension, meaning that he will continue to have as much job security as any coach in the country. Dambrot is now under contract through the 2022-2023 season.
“There’s few coaches lucky enough to have the opportunity to coach at a university they played for, where their mother was a professor and where their children attend school,” Dambrot said in a statement. “The progress we have made as a program and the commitment from The University and the community make this one of the premier jobs in the nation. I want to thank Dr. Proenza, the Board of Trustees and Tom for all they have done for us.”
Dambrot is 210-94 overall and 107-41 in the MAC during his tenure. He’s led the Zips to at least 22 wins the past six seasons. Only five other schools — Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State and Pittsburgh — can make that claim. That’s impressive company.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)